Foods You Love That Others Find Strange?

@morning glory
Tripe is not expensive. Available at a couple of butcher shops.
Liver only a little more.
Kidney and heart even more.
Tongue and brain even more.
Thymus (sweet breads) - very expensive
My point is that as a child organ meat (offal) was usually discarded or sold for next to nothing

Being a one parent family, we didn't have much so we lived on offal a lot, I still detest tripe and the sight of it, I'm almost retching typing this,lol. Kidneys are regular still. Sweetbreads and liver as well.

Russ

Staffordshire oatcakes.
I think you just had to grow up in that particular area of the UK to like oatcakes.

I also grew up in North of the border as well, so tatty scones, square sausage and dumpling (this is a thin suet based bread made with sultanas and such that is them fried. I remember a skin similar to a sausage skin on it as well) were much loved items pin the menu.

Chip butties are another that really throw southerners in particular. They are much more common now but when I first started working in the south in a boarding school, a certain member of staff who wasn't sitting on the table I had sat down on later commented on the fact that when he watched me make a chip buttie (sliced white bread is mandatory) he knew we would become good friends. Hee was right. Apparently I set myself aside by doing this act, indicating very clearly which side of the M4 is was from. (This is a motorway in the UK that runs from London to Bristol. It was, much more so many years back, a dividing line for the southerners. Anyone living north of this line was considered a northerner by those living south of it. Northerners however put the line much higher. For me it was Birmingham, though for many it was much further north. )

Staffordshire oatcakes.
I think you just had to grow up in that particular area of the UK to like oatcakes.

I also grew up in North of the border as well, so tatty scones, square sausage and dumpling (this is a thin suet based bread made with sultanas and such that is them fried. I remember a skin similar to a sausage skin on it as well) were much loved items pin the menu.

Chip butties are another that really throw southerners in particular. They are much more common now but when I first started working in the south in a boarding school, a certain member of staff who wasn't sitting on the table I had sat down on later commented on the fact that when he watched me make a chip buttie (sliced white bread is mandatory) he knew we would become good friends. Hee was right. Apparently I set myself aside by doing this act, indicating very clearly which side of the M4 is was from. (This is a motorway in the UK that runs from London to Bristol. It was, much more so many years back, a dividing line for the southerners. Anyone living north of this line was considered a northerner by those living south of it. Northerners however put the line much higher. For me it was Birmingham, though for many it was much further north. )

Chip buttes in my house as well.

Russ

Hey! I'm from the South of England (Portsmouth) and we always ate chip butties even when I was a kid and that is going back a long way. It could be a class thing. All my mates ate chip butties too, as did my Dad.
Just up the road from there is where I was met with scorn and found a good friend when I made that first chip buttie in my new job. (Turn right at Milford).

Back
Top Bottom