Football

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
10:07 AM
Okay, off on tangent: I got really irritated yesterday when watching a stock market show where the hosts of the show spoke about "football" and several times stated that they thought that most of the viewers (American) would not understand what real " football" is and they thought that the average viewer would be lost in what they were discussing. I felt a bit insulted, as I have known for decades (probably 40 years) that real "football" is NOT what Americans watch. In fact, I am not a fan of American football (sorry dad) and much prefer what we call "soccer". Ah well.

Okay, off on tangent: I got really irritated yesterday when watching a stock market show where the hosts of the show spoke about "football" and several times stated that they thought that most of the viewers (American) would not understand what real " football" is and they thought that the average viewer would be lost in what they were discussing. I felt a bit insulted, as I have known for decades (probably 40 years) that real "football" is NOT what Americans watch. In fact, I am not a fan of American football (sorry dad) and much prefer what we call "soccer". Ah well.

We call it soccer as well. I coached my sons team when he was about 10. :)
Then we have rugby (15 man) rugby league (13 men) and touch 7 male and female, a smaller version of rugby. USA are very good and have beaten nz a few times.

Russ

Sure we watch "real football." So do people around the world who play the game we call soccer. Oh, It is futbol in latin countries. They are both very real games, that just happened to get named the same a long, long time ago.

It is more irritating that I have to make clear that I grill on top a a heat source called a grill, and not under something we call a broiler. I always feel that I have to be sure to clarify that when I post that I am "grilling" something, or using my "grill."

It is nobodies fault, by the way, it is just how the word took two paths.

CD

Last edited:
Sure we watch "real football." So do people around the world who play the game we call soccer. Oh, It is futbol in latin countries. They are both very real games, that just happened to get named the same a long, long time ago.
I like watching the highlights of American Football. I went to a Miami Dolphins game, it takes to long for me. I was raised in Liverpool UK, I have always supported LFC need I say more.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puPluSDCG8c

It is more irritating that I have to make clear that I grill on top a a heat source called a grill, and not under something we call a broiler. I always feel that I have to be sure to clarify that when I post that I am "grilling" something, or using my "grill."
Sorry about that! To us Brits, a "broiler" is a chicken produced for the consumption of its meat (as opposed to eggs). For many years, I thought that "broiling" was some sort of weird baking/boiling process. I would scratch my head a bit, before moving on to something I actually understood.

Sorry about that! To us Brits, a "broiler" is a chicken produced for the consumption of its meat (as opposed to eggs). For many years, I thought that "broiling" was some sort of weird baking/boiling process. I would scratch my head a bit, before moving on to something I actually understood.
You probably don't want to know about all the restaurants here that advertise their "broasted" chicken. 🤔

I think it's some combination of frying and pressure cooking, but it sounds more like marketing to me.

You probably don't want to know about all the restaurants here that advertise their "broasted" chicken. 🤔

I think it's some combination of frying and pressure cooking, but it sounds more like marketing to me.

I very rarely see the term "broasted" up here. Sounds to me like taking dry chicken breast and drying it out even further!

Here's my football/soccer story:

We were on that three-week European bus tour back in 1994 (the Bob-And-Doris tour). It was the second-to-last tour of the season, so the coach wasn't even half full, and the makeup of the group was something like four American couples, an Egyptian mom and son, two Australian couples, a Taiwanese couple, a single American woman and a single British woman, and ourselves (Americans living in England).

Well, right off the bat, the English woman was unhappy. How do we know? She told us every minute of every day. :laugh:

First, she was mad because she was the only British person. Since she booked it in her High Street travel agency, she assumed everyone would be British, or at least most of them, and she was very, very angry to be the only British person there. She glommed onto us after the first day, because we were closer to her age than the Australians, and she flat-out told us, "At least you live in England."

Also, being that she was single and the other solo traveler was single, they had to share a room, and they didn't get along. At all.

Anyway, we were about 17 days into a 21 day trip, and you can get a little road-weary after that, and her crap disposition had only gotten worse.

We were driving along, probably in Switzerland, heading back to Germany and the end of the tour, and we passed a field with some kids playing football/soccer.

The bus was quiet, it was the afternoon, everyone was a little tired, and one of the older American women pointed out the window, and softly said to her husband, "Oh look, dear, those kids are playing soccer."

Well, the British woman had had enough. Being surrounded by Americans for nearly three weeks, confusing chips and crisps and all the other annoying stuff we say, had done her in.

She jumped out of her seat and shouted, "IT'S FOOTBALL! IT'S BLOODY F*****G FOOTBALL! IT'S NOT 'SOCCER!' GET THAT THROUGH YOUR THICK HEADS! IT'S FOOTBALL!"

Everyone kind of turned around and looked at her, and then Bob started laughing at her, and then everyone else kind of laughed a little, which just made her even madder.

Dallas had a team in the MISL (Major Indoor Soccer League), called the Dallas Sidekicks. One of my neighbors was a player, so we got tickets anytime we wanted, and sat with the player's friends and families in good seats.

I have to say, I loved that sport. It is played in a hockey arena with the ice covered by a platform of indoor turf. So, there are walls around, which means you have to try pretty hard to kick the ball out of bounds. That really keeps the game moving.

What makes American football games slow is all the advertising time-outs. Same with baseball, which is slow to begin with. Was bugs me about European football is all the time spent just kicking the ball back and forth, and then out of bounds for the umpteenth time.

I guess that's why I like auto racing (not NASCAR, BTW). My favorite is endurance racing (like LeMans). Non-stop all-out racing.

CD

I like both, prefer football though.

I found American Football difficult to get the hang of at first because to my untrained eye it seemed that everyone ran around like billy-o for about 30 seconds. Then that lot of players would come off, another lot would come on, they'd run around for 30 seconds and repeat.

Took me a while to get the hang of what was going on.

I like both, prefer football though.

I found American Football difficult to get the hang of at first because to my untrained eye it seemed that everyone ran around like billy-o for about 30 seconds. Then that lot of players would come off, another lot would come on, they'd run around for 30 seconds and repeat.

Took me a while to get the hang of what was going on.

I still don't understand Cricket. :scratchhead:

CD

I still don't understand Cricket. :scratchhead:

CD
No one does. Not even the people playing it. That's why, partway through, they'll all stop playing and have tea. If you could listen in, you'd hear them saying things like, "Right. I've thrown this round thing enough, and Richard has run up and down as much as we can get away with, let's think up some new things or the crowd might figure out that we have no bloody idea what we're doing!"

No one does. Not even the people playing it. That's why, partway through, they'll all stop playing and have tea. If you could listen in, you'd hear them saying things like, "Right. I've thrown this round thing enough, and Richard has run up and down as much as we can get away with, let's think up some new things or the crowd might figure out that we have no bloody idea what we're doing!"

I was in a hotel bar in London, having a couple of pints. There was a Cricket match (?) on the TV. All the "blokes" in the bar were watching, cheering, and having a good time. I sat there, determined to figure this sport out. Didn't happen.

CD

Back
Top Bottom