Football

I don't think it is one of those games you can pick up quickly. I think you have to be 'born with it' or spend some time immersed in it.
I am lucky that my Dad is very keen on cricket, he used to have a complete set of Wisden's Almanack.

It is far more jargony than footie, but as with most things the jargon is necessary.

It is far easier to say, "Jenkins is going in as Night Watchman." rather than, "Jenkins is going in now although he is a lower order batsman so as to see out the rest of the poor light leaving a recognised batsman to capitalise on the better light tomorrow when play resumes."

Dallas had a team in the MISL (Major Indoor Soccer League), called the Dallas Sidekicks. One of my neighbors was a player, so we got tickets anytime we wanted, and sat with the player's friends and families in good seats.

I have to say, I loved that sport. It is played in a hockey arena with the ice covered by a platform of indoor turf. So, there are walls around, which means you have to try pretty hard to kick the ball out of bounds. That really keeps the game moving.

What makes American football games slow is all the advertising time-outs. Same with baseball, which is slow to begin with. Was bugs me about European football is all the time spent just kicking the ball back and forth, and then out of bounds for the umpteenth time.

I guess that's why I like auto racing (not NASCAR, BTW). My favorite is endurance racing (like LeMans). Non-stop all-out racing.

CD

You would like Bathurst racing??

Russ

I played cricket as a young un. I know most of the rules. Did you know England cricket team captain Ben stokes was born in my town.? Jason holding bowled well yesterday against your team.
I spent years trying to perfect my seam bowling. Without success. :)

Russ

In the US, bowling is a "sport" where you knock down wooden pins with a 16-pound ball with three holes in it -- that is, between rounds of beer. :D

CD

"the right arm leg spin bowler delivers a googly to the leg stump, which is actually the off stump because the batsman is left handed, the batsman looking for a bat pad chance swats it away to somewhere between silly mid off and short fine leg". Come on guys, make an effort. It's not that difficult.

"the right arm leg spin bowler delivers a googly to the leg stump, which is actually the off stump because the batsman is left handed, the batsman looking for a bat pad chance swats it away to somewhere between silly mid off and short fine leg". Come on guys, make an effort. It's not that difficult.

Or silly mid on? Or 4th slip? Lmao.

Russ

The quarterback lines up at shotgun on third and long, reads the D and senses a blitz, and calls an audible, then takes the snap, and throws the quick screen to the fullback who gains enough ground to move the markers.

Now, that is easy. :okay:

The quarterback lines up at shotgun on third and long, reads the D and senses a blitz, and calls an audible, then takes the snap, and throws the quick screen to the fullback who gains enough ground to move the markers.

Now, that is easy. :okay:
Just when you think the cultural divide is narrowing...

I know that Brits are lifelong fans of particular football teams, and the same is true in American Football.

My great-grandfather came from Torino, and settled in Pittsburgh. My grandfather was born there. My father was born there. So, I grew up a Pittsburgh Steelers fan. I now consider myself a true citizen of "Steelers Nation." Even in Dallas, I can wear my #58 Jack Lambert NFL Jersey, and get a thumbs up anywhere I go.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49z55USKuAA

I also have an original, first year Terrible Towel. That doesn't EVER leave my house. I store it in a vacuum sealed bag. The Terrible Towel is an NFL icon, and even has a curse attached to it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSxPIX3HDkA

CD

I like both, prefer football though.

I found American Football difficult to get the hang of at first because to my untrained eye it seemed that everyone ran around like billy-o for about 30 seconds. Then that lot of players would come off, another lot would come on, they'd run around for 30 seconds and repeat.

Took me a while to get the hang of what was going on.
You hit the nail on the head there! I'm getting better but I still don't understand American Football fully - I think my problem is that I instinctively try to relate what I'm seeing to Rugby, and I shouldn't! Hubby is fan (he's a fan of most sports actually) so he provides me with a running explanation of what's happening :okay: We were really hoping to get tickets to one of the American Football in London this year....guess it'll have to be next year now.

I still don't understand Cricket. :scratchhead:

CD
I love cricket.....Test cricket can be a bit boring because it can be tactical so there can be long stretches with nothing going on, but Twenty20 is fast-paced and a lot of fun. As a beginner I'd always recommend starting with T20, preferably with someone who can "translate" what's going on for you. We took some non-cricket-watching friends to a T20 match and when it was explained what was going on they really got into it. Once you get the hang of it the longer games (one day games, and Tests) become more interesting. Just one word of caution though....if you see the ball coming your way watch out.....if it hits you it'll really hurt!
We had tickets to several games this summer....all cancelled now :(

Or my personal favourite;

The bowler is Holding the batsman's Willey.

Good old Jonners.

Back
Top Bottom