Football

The quarterback lines up at shotgun on third and long, reads the D and senses a blitz, and calls an audible, then takes the snap, and throws the quick screen to the fullback who gains enough ground to move the markers.

Now, that is easy. :okay:
See, that makes perfect sense to me, and I don't even watch sports (though if I do watch a sport, it's NFL football).

Having married into a family headed by an ex-pro athlete, it was fascinating to watch virtually any sport with my FIL. He could explain things that the average, and even the above average viewer, would miss. The funniest thing, though, had to be when we visited them one year in Florida, and my wife and I'd gone out to run some errands, and when we came back to the house, Bob Feller (legendary baseball pitcher) was sitting at the table having coffee with my in-laws. He'd just stopped by for a cuppa! :laugh:

The quarterback lines up at shotgun on third and long, reads the D and senses a blitz, and calls an audible, then takes the snap, and throws the quick screen to the fullback who gains enough ground to move the markers.

Now, that is easy. :okay:
The quarterback = blokey what throws the ball (pigskin?)

Lines up at shotgun = haven't a clue.

On third and long = the quarterback's team is on their third play or down but they still have a fair amount of yardage to make up to reset to another round of downs.

Reads the D = I think the D is the 'arc' of defenders lined up in front of the quarterback?

Senses a blitz = I think, from memory, a blitz is where some of the defenders divert from blocking the attackers and concentrate their efforts on charging at the quarterback instead.

Calls an audible = Well the very fact he's called it makes it 'audible' doesn't it? I think this is where the quarterback calls out coded instructions to let his team mates know where he wants them positioned when he throws the ball.

Takes the snap = This is where the quarterback catches the ball chucked back at him.

Quick screen = haven't a clue.

Fullback = one of the attacking players. From memory, I think this is usually quite a beefy, powerful player who is nevertheless quite quick on their feet. The ball is passed to him, his team mates try to block the defenders and he acts like a human battering ram trying to gain yardage by sheer force. A tactic made easier for him if the defenders are initially committed to attacking the quarterback.

The markers. = The little markers off to the side of the pitch that indicate how many yards the attacking team have moved forward or back.

So how did I do? Marks out of 10?

The quarterback = blokey what throws the ball (pigskin?)

Lines up at shotgun = haven't a clue.

On third and long = the quarterback's team is on their third play or down but they still have a fair amount of yardage to make up to reset to another round of downs.

Reads the D = I think the D is the 'arc' of defenders lined up in front of the quarterback?

Senses a blitz = I think, from memory, a blitz is where some of the defenders divert from blocking the attackers and concentrate their efforts on charging at the quarterback instead.

Calls an audible = Well the very fact he's called it makes it 'audible' doesn't it? I think this is where the quarterback calls out coded instructions to let his team mates know where he wants them positioned when he throws the ball.

Takes the snap = This is where the quarterback catches the ball chucked back at him.

Quick screen = haven't a clue.

Fullback = one of the attacking players. From memory, I think this is usually quite a beefy, powerful player who is nevertheless quite quick on their feet. The ball is passed to him, his team mates try to block the defenders and he acts like a human battering ram trying to gain yardage by sheer force. A tactic made easier for him if the defenders are initially committed to attacking the quarterback.

The markers. = The little markers off to the side of the pitch that indicate how many yards the attacking team have moved forward or back.

So how did I do? Marks out of 10?

Very impressive! :okay:

Shotgun is when the quarterback lines up a few yards back from the Center (the guy that chucks the ball to the quarterback). If the QB is right behind the center for the "snap," he is lining up "under center."

The "D" is the defense. The QB always looks at how the "D" has lined up, to see if the play they are about to run will probably work. If not, he will call (shout out) an "audible," a coded play change to his offense.

The quick screen is a short, quick passing play that happens mostly when the QB is under the pressure of a "blitz," and needs to get rid of the ball in a hurry. The plays are designed so that the QB has someone to throw to, even for short yardage, to keep from being "sacked," which is not getting fired, but getting pummeled by a really big defensive player.

You got the "markers" basically right. They show, on the sideline, where the ball is, what down it is, and where the ball needs to go for a first down (reseting the downs).

Yeah, a fullback is generally a really big guy used to run the ball when only a few yards are needed for a first down or touchdown. His mission is to run over defenders, not around them. A running back (once referred to a halfback), is generally smaller and very fast. He is harder to catch.

CD

Last edited:
I played cricket as a young un. I know most of the rules. Did you know England cricket team captain Ben stokes was born in my town.? Jason holding bowled well yesterday against your team.
I spent years trying to perfect my seam bowling. Without success. :)

Russ
They seem to have recovered well though, but I can't see this finishing in anything but a draw now though.

I'm interested to hear what American Football fans make of Rugby, particularly Rugby Union.

View: https://youtu.be/Mr2LqEpBBtk
I think it has a small but dedicated following, but that's just my view of it. Any place I've ever lived has had some kind of local rugby club. We have a few in our local area now.

I know there's a bumper sticker I see occasionally around town that says, "I'd Rather Lose At Rugby Than Win At Softball," that always makes me laugh.

I think it has a small but dedicated following, but that's just my view of it. Any place I've ever lived has had some kind of local rugby club. We have a few in our local area now.

I know there's a bumper sticker I see occasionally around town that says, "I'd Rather Lose At Rugby Than Win At Softball," that always makes me laugh.

People here are rugby mad, I can take or leave it. I was pretty good as a kid and always got picked for trials teams to play rep rugby. We didn't have a car so I couldn't go. My younger brother played rep rugby league for Canterbury, ( our province) my grandsons (3) all play rugby. One is particarlly good, mr7 who stayed here. He has excellent coordination. His dad's family were all blacks. I plan on being his agent :) :)

Russ

Wow, did it just get a bit warm in here? I'm suddenly feeling a bit uncomfortable.

CD

Have I missed something?
Maybe mate, I think Americans don't understand the term "All Blacks" is the name of the BEST rugby team in the world after the Welsh. As you know all the All Blacks are multi racial giants who wear an all black strip.
download (8).jpg

Back
Top Bottom