Recipe Franconian Bread Soup ( Sopa de Menestra )

Francesca

Local time
9:44 AM
BREADSOUP20140726_135659.jpg

** Photo Courtesy: Ristorante Fischetti - Napoli ..

Franconian Bread Soup is a simple ancient soup that mainly consists of day old bread, vegetables, herbs and / or meat.

The Vegetarian version has often been eaten during Lent for centuries in the rural countryside. The version, I prepare takes on ancient Italian roots, and is called Riscoperta de Pan Cocido con Brécol, which is a vegetable broth prepared with sautéed day old bread and Broccoli.

In Italy: This bread soup is served with an sunnyside up egg on top & Parmesan Grated Aged / Cured Cheese.

For 4 persons:

500 grams of Fresh Broccoli ..
2 Cloves of fresh garlic minced.
200 Grams of day old bread.
1 Dried red chili pepper called Guindilla which is Cayenne.
1 Sweet Red Pepper ( Bell or Italian Horn Shaped )
Vegetable Stock, to create a fine vegetable broth.
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 Medium onion or 2 small shallots or 1 shallot and 1 small leek ..
Evoo
A sprinkle of minced fresh or dry parsley.

1) Heat your home made vegetable stock on a low simmer.
2) In a large stock pot, place some wáter with salt, and when on high simmer, put your chopped broccoli in to simmer on médium heat until just tender. Do not over simmer.
3) In a skillet, sauté the onion or the shallot and leek, then the red bell minced (de-seeded), minced garlic, and then the large bread cubes and the crumbled chili pepper ..
4) Reserve the wáter that you simmered the broccoli in & Combine a couple of tablespoons with the stock ..
5) Drain the sautéed ítems from the Oil and place in earthenware clay cazuelas or bowls ..
6) Now take the vegetable stock and strain to a broth.
7) With a ladle, place into the bowls.
8) Readjust the salt and black pepper freshly ground and add the pieces of broccoli.
9) Drizzle a tiny drop of Evoo and carefully turn over the broccoli in a glass bowl ..
10) Ladle the broccoli into clay bowls ..

Last edited:
I posted similar recipe here https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/beans-and-greens.7475/. Although I used greens in that recipe, I have often made it with broccoli too. It should have been ladled over the bread, but I prefer to have my bread separately. This recipe is very old too, and is called potage or pottage here. Delicious and as filling or as light as you like to make it. It's also a good way of using up bits and pieces before you do your next shop.

@Elawin

Thank you for visiting.

I shall take a look at your récipe ..

I truly enjoy it because it is very light ..

Have a nice day ..

Back
Top Bottom