2 medium cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp rendered bacon fat, cold
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves or 1/4 tsp dried
2 Tbsp EVOO
1-1/2 sticks unsalted butter
2 Tbsp brandy or bourbon or sherry
1/4 cup finely grated gruyere
Salt and pepper to taste

Clean the calves liver of any dark spots or sinew or silver skin type tissue. Place in a plastic bag or container, add milk, seal and place in refrigerator overnight, turning at least once.

Next day, heat rendered bacon fat in a medium skillet over medium low heat, and add onions plus some salt and pepper. Cook until onion is brown and caramelized, adding a little water as needed so onions don't dry out and burn. When onions are close to being done, add thyme and garlic. Continue to cook until fragrant, again adding water if needed. Once everything is done and water has evaporated, transfer onion mixture to a food processor.

In same skillet, add EVOO and heat over medium heat. Add calves liver slices and cook for about 3 minutes, then flip and cook 2-3 minutes more until calves liver is just barely cooked. Remove from heat and add liver to food processor. Allow to cool for a few minutes. Add cheese and pulse until corasely pureed. Start adding butter 2 Tbsp at a time until incorporated. Add the brandy or bourbon and process until you have a smooth consistency. Taste and adjust seasoning.

Scrape the pate into 2 or 3 small ramekins and cover with plastic wrap pressed on the surface to avoid forming a skin. Refrigerate until firm.

MAKE AHEAD: Pour a thin layer of melted, cooled butter on top, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week or freeze up to 1 month. Thaw in refrigerator overnight when ready to serve.

Very Cheesy Gougeres, makes about 24

1/2 cup bread flour
1/2 cup water
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 whole large eggs plus 1 white
1/4 tsp salt
Pinch of cayenne pepper
4 ounces (1 cup) grated gruyere cheese

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the baking sheet in another baking sheet (nest) to avoid over browning on the bottom.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Beat eggs and extra white in a measuring cup, along with the salt and cayenne. Set aside.

In a medium saucepan, add the water and butter, then bring to a boil. Add the flour all at once and stir with a wooden spoon to combine, then place over low heat and continue to stir in 1 direction until dough pulls away from the pan and forms a nice ball around the spoon. There should be a light film of dough on the bottom and sides of the pan. You want that to happen. Transfer the dough to the bowl of a food processor, allow it to cool for a few minutes, then turn it on, allow to process for 30 seconds or so to cool further, then begin slowly adding the beaten eggs, like you are making an emulsion, until all the egg is incorporated. Stop processor, add the cheese, then pulse until combined. You can do this by hand or in a stand mixer also.

Place dough in a piping bag with a 1/2 inch tip and pipe mounds consisting of a heaping tablespoon about 2 inches apart onto the prepared baking sheets. You can also use a spoon to do this. Smooth the tops of the mounds with a finger or back of a spoon dampened with water.

Place pan in oven and bake for 15 minutes. Turn oven off and allow to remain in oven with door closed for another 15 minutes. Remove from oven and poke a hole in the side or bottom of each gougere to allow steam to vent. Allow to cool for a few minutes and then split or use a piping bag to fill gougeres with the pate.

MAKE AHEADS: if using later the same day, only allow gougeres to remain in oven 10 minutes after the oven is turned off. When ready to use place the gougeres in a hot 400 F oven for 5 minutes, then proceed as above.

If you want to freeze up to 2 months, form the mounds and freeze on a sheet pan, then bag. Bake as above except 17 minutes before you turn oven off, then 17 minutes after the oven is off.

Last edited:
How delicious. I adore liver and this is an interesting way to use it. Adding cheese really surprised me. Adding the alcohol didn't.

I was trying for a French onion soup taste so that's why I added the cheese. I know it's not the norm, but I was just playing with my food.

Back
Top Bottom