French onion soup recipe please?

[Mod.Edit: Recipe moved to new thread - see link (MG)]

The origin of the current French Onion Soup lies in the 'Le Tourin', a soup from the southwest of France. See here: Recipe - Le Tourin

Last edited by a moderator:
The key to a good French Onion soup (in my book) is to caramelise the onions properly in butter (or butter plus olive oil) before adding stock. and wine. You need lots of onions, a large pan and loads of patience, stirring them whilst they caramelise. Add some thinly sliced garlic cloves towards the end of cooking the onions. Then add a good beef stock, red or white wine and seasonings.

All that is left is the topping - good French style toasted bread and melted Gruyere cheese

Here is a Chef's recipe - I love the idea of using Cognac.
French Onion Soup Recipe With Garlic & Croutons - Great British Chefs

1601462939723.png

I've used wine, sherry, and vermouth at different times when making it. All have worked well.

I'm about to make it again, and I'm going to try an overnight slow cooker method to caramelize the onions. I shall report on that sometime within the next two weeks.

I also like fontina cheese on it, as it's less stringy than the gruyere. I got that from an Akron Brown recipe.

We make French Onion soup with homemade beef stock (and bought chicken stock) and Gewürztraminer. I use a mix of red and sweet onions, and leeks. Gruyere on the toasts. I'll post the recipe in a bit.

Back
Top Bottom