Fried Bologna Sandwiches

Backbay

Über Member
Local time
9:30 AM
Mods: Please move as needed if duplicate subject, etc.

Growing up, lunchtime in the summer usually consisted of something slapped between two pieces of "Wonder Bread" with the appropriate accompaniment of mayo, ketchup, mustard or butter.

My favorite was fried bologna with mayo and sweet pickles. The bologna was sliced from a large log/roll that was wrapped in red plastic and had to be fried to almost burnt. Every now and then I still make one and thoroughly enjoy it.

How about you - any fried bologna lovers out there or what were you favorite lunchtime meals as a kid?

Absolutely. I make them all the time. I prefer mine just with plain yellow mustard. Every diner and deli around here has them on the menu.

I have only had it a few times. One place near Tulsa was known for fried bologna sandwiches, and I had it there, and it would have been really good, had they used less bologna. It was overkill -- I couldn't finish it. Too much processed meat for one sandwich.

I'd list it as one of those things a person should have at least once in life.

CD

We don't have bologna here in the UK as far as I know. Nor do we often come across fried sandwiches. In fact I can safely say I've never eaten one. I'm not sure why we don't have fried sandwiches. We do have fried bread as traditional part of a full English breakfast sometimes. Generally, if a sandwich was cooked, it would be a toasted sandwiches rather than fried.

When I do an image search for fried bologna sandwich they looks toasted not fried. :scratchhead:

We don't have bologna here in the UK as far as I know. Nor do we often come across fried sandwiches. In fact I can safely say I've never eaten one. I'm not sure why we don't have fried sandwiches. We do have fried bread as traditional part of a full English breakfast sometimes. Generally, if a sandwich was cooked, it would be a toasted sandwiches rather than fried.

When I do an image search for fried bologna sandwich they looks toasted not fried. :scratchhead:
To be clear, the bologna is fried, not the outside of the bread. You could do a pretty good imitation of one using mortadella, which is just fancy imported bologna. :)

To be clear, the bologna is fried, not the outside of the bread. You could do a pretty good imitation of one using mortadella, which is just fancy imported bologna. :)

Yes, the meat is fried, not the sandwich. And yes, Mercan bologna is very similar to mortadella. It is close enough that you could do a fried mortadella sandwich, and get a pretty good idea what it is like to eat a fried bologna sandwich.

CD

Yes, the meat is fried, not the sandwich. And yes, Mercan bologna is very similar to mortadella. It is close enough that you could do a fried mortadella sandwich, and get a pretty good idea what it is like to eat a fried bologna sandwich.

CD
My nephew used to manage a not-quite-swanky restaurant in Columbus, and one of the things they offered was...fried mortadella with a tomato-and-olive relish served on grilled ciabatta bread. I used to stop in and see him occasionally, and he'd always laugh because some customer would invariably be overhead asking (in a southern Ohio accent), "Uhhhh...whut zactly is...mor...morda...morda-della?"

"It's basically fried baloney."

:)

My nephew used to manage a not-quite-swanky restaurant in Columbus, and one of the things they offered was...fried mortadella with a tomato-and-olive relish served on grilled ciabatta bread. I used to stop in and see him occasionally, and he'd always laugh because some customer would invariably be overhead asking (in a southern Ohio accent), "Uhhhh...whut zactly is...mor...morda...morda-della?"

"It's basically fried baloney."

:)

Someplace less than "swanky" in Columbus, Ohio? I spent a week there one day.

Actually, for those who have never been there, Ohio is a very nice place (I lived there for almost two years). But, cultural center of the nation it is not.

Texas is the same way, except that we have four metropolitan areas with over a million people. You get out of those areas, and mortadella would also be a food item not heard of.

CD

OK - I get that now, but the bread is toasted?

Is there such a thing as a fried sandwich? Well of course there must be...

OK - I get that now, But the bread is toasted?

Is there such a thing as a fried sandwich? Well of course there must be...
No, the bread is not toasted. Cheap supermarket white bread, straight from the plastic bag. No toasting. No frying. Slap on some mustard and some fried bologna. The meat should have a good char on it. That's lunch.

Now I'm going to make one tomorrow and post it. 😬

There are plenty of (pan-)fried sandwiches. Grilled/Toasted cheese is pan-fried. MrsTasty's favorite sandwich is fried peanut butter and jelly, pan-fried in a skillet.

Hot ham and cheese...or turkey and cheese, all pan-fried at my house.

No, the bread is not toasted.

That is strange because I 'image searched' fried bologna sandwiches and this is what I got - admittedly they are not all 'toasted bread' but most were as I scrolled down further.

Back
Top Bottom