Fried Bologna Sandwiches

That is strange because I 'image searched' fried bologna sandwiches and this is what I got - admittedly they are not all 'toasted bread' but most were as I scrolled down further.

View attachment 42776

Okay, there is traditional mom-made fried balogna sandwiches, and there are fried bologna sandwiches created by "chefs" to try and make a fried bologna sandwich they can sell for ten bucks.

The real deal is just bologna slices, pan fried, and served on plain white supermarket bread.

CD

That is strange because I 'image searched' fried bologna sandwiches and this is what I got - admittedly they are not all 'toasted bread' but most were as I scrolled down further.

View attachment 42776
I would chalk that up to two things:

1. The Internet Effect - I'm putting something up on the internet, so it needs to be "taken to the next level," "bumped up a notch," or "X-treeeeeeeme!!!"

2. There's no accounting for taste. There's one there using a bun. That should tell you something right there.

I would chalk that up to two things:

1. The Internet Effect - I'm putting something up on the internet, so it needs to be "taken to the next level," "bumped up a notch," or "X-treeeeeeeme!!!"

2. There's no accounting for taste. There's one there using a bun. That should tell you something right there.

Hello, I am Chad, aspiring actor and your server today. The special is a pan sautéed mortadella on house baked artisanal focaccia and a dill and capers remoulade, with a side of asparagus and artichoke bisque. That is $19.00. We also have a lovely Himalayan green tea with local honey and ginseng for $8.00. :smug:

VS

Kid: Hey mom, what's for lunch?
Mom: Fried bologna on Wonder bread with a side of Cheese Doodles, and a glass of Grape Kool-Ade.

CD

Hello, I am Chad, aspiring actor and your server today. The special is a pan sautéed mortadella on house baked artisanal focaccia and a dill and capers remoulade, with a side of asparagus and artichoke bisque. That is $19.00. We also have a lovely Himalayan green tea with local honey and ginseng for $8.00. :smug:

VS

Kid: Hey mom, what's for lunch?
Mom: Fried bologna on Wonder bread with a side of Cheese Doodles, and a glass of Grape Kool-Ade.

CD
That tears it. I'm now committed to the Ohio Hillbilly Special for my lunch tomorrow; Fried baloney sandwich on white bread, Husman's potato chips, and a big glass of sweet iced tea. :)

Oh yea, the grandparents ate the Olive Loaf and the kids ate the bologna. I also remember Dutch Loaf

https://www.google.com/search?clien...jAuMTAuMZgBAKABAQ&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp
That's another thing I should probably put in the Produce topic - we in Ohio are blessed with some damn fine lunch meats.

Olive loaf - back in about 1987, I drove 13 hours from where I was stationed back to Ohio. I loaded up the truck with a loaf of bread, a packet of cheese, a pound of olive loaf, a big bag of Funyuns, and a 12-pack of Mountain Dew.

I think I made it as far as Watertown before I had to pull over and puke. :laugh:

I love Dutch loaf...and Lebanon Bologna (which is not like regular bologna)...and Old-Fashioned Loaf. I am also quite fond of Troyer's Trail Bologna (also not quite like regular bologna, but not too different, either).

I love my lunchmeat.

That's another thing I should probably put in the Produce topic - we in Ohio are blessed with some damn fine lunch meats.

Olive loaf - back in about 1987, I drove 13 hours from where I was stationed back to Ohio. I loaded up the truck with a loaf of bread, a packet of cheese, a pound of olive loaf, a big bag of Funyuns, and a 12-pack of Mountain Dew.

I think I made it as far as Watertown before I had to pull over and puke. :laugh:

I love Dutch loaf...and Lebanon Bologna (which is not like regular bologna)...and Old-Fashioned Loaf. I am also quite fond of Troyer's Trail Bologna (also not quite like regular bologna, but not too different, either).

I love my lunchmeat.

I like Labanon Bologna, too. It is very different from regular Bologna. The thing I would say is closest to Lebanon Bologna would be Italian Hard Salami. Same texture, and somewhat similar taste.

I also grew up eating Taylor Pork Roll (NO! It is not Taylor Ham). My mom grew up in New Jersey, and my dad lived there through High School. I can actually get it here at Kroger, because Boar's Head meats distributes it down here.

You cook it like fried bologna, but it doesn't taste the same. It is great on a bun with a fried egg and American cheese.

Unknown-4.jpeg

Unknown-5.jpeg

Pork-Roll-Egg-and-Cheese4-600x500.jpg

CD

I like Labanon Bologna, too. It is very different from regular Bologna. The thing I would say is closest to Lebanon Bologna would be Italian Hard Salami. Same texture, and somewhat similar taste.

I also grew up eating Taylor Pork Roll (NO! It is not Taylor Ham). My mom grew up in New Jersey, and my dad lived there through High School. I can actually get it here at Kroger, because Boar's Head meats distributes it down here.

You cook it like fried bologna, but it doesn't taste the same. It is great on a bun with a fried egg and American cheese.

View attachment 42778

View attachment 42779

View attachment 42780
CD
I'm going to look for that if I ever get back to a big Kroger. My local Kroger doesn't carry Boar's Head, but the big one does.

I love my lunchmeat.
Tasty, how about Chip chop ham from Islay’s Diner? Any of that down around Cinci?

I'm gunna chime in here, we grew up with "Segg" flavoured processed meat. Close to Bologna I think. Cheap m eat so we ate it in sammiches with ketchup. We just call it Belgium now. We get it also with veges in it, savoury Belgium. I still buy this , go to the fridge and grab a slice out, squirt a bit of tomato,sauce on it and into the cake hole. Comfort food from my childhood. And cheap as chips. From the local deli.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom