Recipe & Video Fried Calamari and Turkish style Tarator sauce

Hungry Man

Local time
1:53 AM
Website
www.youtube.com
Fried calamari is one of the most popular summer dishes in Turkey and I've tried fried calamari in many countries and I think the ones in Turkey were the best. (to my taste :)
Here is how I do it and together with a quick recipe for Turkish Tarator sauce (contains walnuts, garlic, yoghurt and bread crumbs)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm275t5GUNU

Ingredients:
- Squid rings, 400g
- Baking soda, salt, mineral water (for the marinade)
- All purpose flour
- Sunflower oil (or any oil suitable for frying)
Tarator sauce:
- Bread crumbs, 1 cup
- Yoghurt or creme fraîche, 1 cup
- Crushed walnuts, 1/2 cup
- Garlic, 3 cloves
- Olive oil, 1 Tbsp
- Milk, 1/2 cup

Method:
- Add squid rings to a large bowl and add abundant salt, baking soda and mineral water
- Mix and rub the squid rings until they are foamy and tender
- Let them rest in the fridge for at least 3 hours
- After 3 hours, drain the excess liquid and cover the squid rings with flour. Shake them and get rid of excess flour.
- Working in small batches, deep fry the squid rings (the oil must be really hot before adding the squids)
- In a few minutes, once golden brown, take out the squid rings and place them on a plate covered with paper towel
Tarator sauce:
- In a medium size bowl, mix bread crumbs with yoghurt (if you can find condensed yoghurt it's better for the consistency of the sauce)
- Add crushed walnuts, crushed garlic and the olive oil. Mix it until well incorporated.
- Thin the sauce with milk, until you get the desired consistency.

Enjoy :)

...I know about Tarator sauce because I did some research on recipes containing walnuts. I was struck by Tarator sauce because I don't like and am mildly intolerant of mayo and it seemed a good substitute. I also liked the word 'Tarator' and it stuck in my mind.

Back
Top Bottom