Fried chicken talk

there are bazillions of copy-cat KFC spice mixes floating around.
I've done this one, it's pretty dang close....

Breading
9 ounces all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon MSG (monosodium glutamate)
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons ground tellicherry pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground savory
1/2 teaspoon ground sage
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground majoram
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon garclic powder
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

When I ttried to emulate KFC I ran acros spices I had never heard of and eventually came up with better.

1-garlic powder
1-onion powder
1-thyme
1-celery seed
½-dill seed (munched by mortar n pestle
½-ground cayenne

I stab it all over and get it wet, then coat it with spices and coax them in. It is still wet enough to hold the flour so on that goes.

I do boneless skinless breast all the time, usually for chicken parmesan. Mine however does not have sauce on the chicken.

A more favorite way I do it is leg quarters in the oven. They get the spice, then in the oven for a bit under an hour. NOT FLIPPED. If you do this right, get a separate plate just for the chicken becsause once you stick a fork in it the juices go all over the place.

T

I tried this recipe from 'KFC Crack the code' forum and it was VERY close, though I should have fried it a bit longer to get a bit more colour on it.

There are some obsessive people out there (which is great!) doing all kinds of research and analysis to try to figure out the recipe. I would say this one is REALLY REALLY close (and I've eaten lots of KFC).

[EDIT] Interesting to note that it does not contain the following ingredients which were in the Chicago Tribune one from Col Sanders' nephew: paprika, celery salt, mustard.

Pic

2DE7C594-9ADB-4537-853B-1269DCA7144D.jpeg

Just got an alert that next Tuesday 6th July is International Fried Chicken Day.

I for one am campaigning for this to be made a national holiday (so far unsuccessfully as it is behind International Pizza Day in the queue for consideration). But for sure I will be making fried chicken on Tuesday. Who's with me? :)

Screenshot 2021-06-30 at 11.25.59 AM.png

Just got an alert that next Tuesday 6th July is International Fried Chicken Day.

I for one am campaigning for this to be made a national holiday (so far unsuccessfully as it is behind International Pizza Day in the queue for consideration). But for sure I will be making fried chicken on Tuesday. Who's with me? :)

View attachment 66277

I'm thinking of KFC night here this Sunday for a change for the family. They love my KFC chicken n chips. Twice fried of course.

Russ

new member here,
i read this thread with some interest as i have been experimenting with fried chicken for quite a few years and what i have found is that before you can get the desired results , you have to look at everything involved such as the chicken itself , the seasoning , the oil , the coating, the method of frying and finally the finish,
most people buy precut chicken at the market , most of these are unsuitable for frying because they are to big ( i have bought chicken breasts that look like they came off a turkey !!!) instead buy whole hens and cut them up yourself
the seasoning is just a matter of taste and depends on what you are going for . as for the coating , i don't care how your grandma did it , never use a batter ( wet coating ) the reason i say this is this : you might get a crispy crust on the outside but the underside of the crust will be a soggy mess , never use an egg wash the reason i say this is that it just washes off the coating you just put on the chicken and at best you will get uneven clumps of crust , instead season your chicken while its still wet and coat it with a dry flour mixture and shake off any excess flour , now for the method of frying, i always deep fry my chicken in an electric deep fryer so that i can better control the oil temp and plus i don't have to worry about the crust sticking to the pan but here is the key set the temp at 340 degrees . the reason is because many spices don't hold up well at temps at or above 350 degrees, the type of oil you use is also very inportant , don't worry you don't need any fancy oil, vegatable oil works pretty well at 340 degrees , don't try to mix wings and breasts or thighs in the same batch , they have different cooking times , 15 minutes for wings and 20-23 minute for breasts and thights , after you remove the chicken its important to place the chicken on a wire rack or a metal colender and then place it in a warm (not hot) oven for a few minutes , the oven should be about 170 degrees , your not trying to finish cooking the chicken but it needs a few minutes in the oven in order to keep the oil warm and fluid so that it can drain off the chicken and help dry the crust . never ever place chicken on paper towels , it will result in a soggy crust every time

Oven-fried Chicken;

This thread really ROCKS!!

Fried chicken is just about all that it's really meant to be. Who on earth can resist the crispy dry skin on fried chicken?!! The crackling gold look & taste with moist tender meat inside?! But have you ever tried oven fried chicken? It may look like it's been fried, but it's not. It is cooked entirely in the oven, which makes it look so delicious & good!

I sometimes prefer this over fried chicken. Far less fattening oil to have to deal with. The cornflake crumbs help give it that
crispy-oven-fried-chicken-2-of-8-1067x1536.jpg
it that exceptional look & taste. Yes, I love fried chicken, but I also love oven-fried chicken as well. A picture is worth a thousand words!!!! :whistling:

I'm torn between fried chicken & pot roast!!! Was going to make a pot roast until I saw this thread on fried chicken!! Now I might make some tomorrow as part of a Sunday dinner with mashed, gravy & a vegetable!!
Gotta get some buttermilk & russet potatoes from the supermarket!! :whistling:

i have made my chicken as i described above and let freinds and family eat it and when they wanted to make their own i gave them my exact recipe , then they came back and said what they cooked wasn't as good as mine so then i vac. packed every spice and even the coating and gave it to them ,again they said it wasn't as good as mine ...so i think my freinds just can't follow directions !!!! that or they are to dang lazy to cook it and just want me to do it for them ...lol

Back
Top Bottom