Fried Potatoes - bring on your ideas!

Of course potatos have names...idaho, yukon, russetts, florida whites...tons of different potatos here in the U.S. and likely different varieties in europe because of growing climates and soil. They originated from south america and were took over to europe via spain by spanish explorers.

I know if i go to a restaurant and order home fries i get diced potatos not sliced and usually cooked with peppers and onions and much drier than my mom's fried potatoes which tend to have a little oil on the surface of the slices and not fried til dry.

My wife makes them that "dry" way.

There's a deli near me that makes homefries to order from frozen discs of potatoes that are deep fried. You can then ask to have them griddled with various veggies.

As far as names go, I wonderif South Americans have a name for each of their thousands of varieties?

I love some of the British names, though.

https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/features/potato-variety-guide

Home fries mean different things in different parts of America and even different to families in the same region. Where I come from in the upper part of the south, they were sliced and fried in bacon fat and/or Crisco (or vege oil) with salt and pepper, and that's it. They weren't oily per se, but did have a slight sheen on them.

Here in South Florida, they seem to be chunks with or without peppers, onion, cheese, and usually dryish.

Going through my files, I have a recipe somewhere for potatoes cooked in a skillet on the stove top in chicken broth with garlic, and herbs. And another for a potato and onion tart. Will see if I can locate them, and share them here.

These potatoes are cooked mostly in chicken broth, rather than oil.

Crispy outside creamy inside garlic herb potatoes

http://hostthetoast.com/crispy-outside-creamy-inside-garlic-herb-potatoes/

Another Thanksgiving side idea:

Upside-down Potato-Onion Tart

https://www.whiskaffair.com/upside-down-onion-and-potato-tart/

Last edited:
Seems that this thread has turned into a home fries and par-boiling debate since I brought it up, along with my opinion, my experience on page 1. The topic asks to bring on your ideas.

Last edited:
Topics seem to meander like any conversation in real life. We are lucky we are still talking about some type of fried potatoes.

My mom used to make fried potato cakes out of left over mashed potaoes. Mashed Potato, onion, cracker crumbs, and eggs mixed together and shaped into a patty and fried in oil in a pan on the stove. They were not my favorite but a predictable breakfast item about 3 days after thanksgiving and christmas...the major mashed potato holidays.

I start with onions, get some colour on them then add chunks of parboiled unpeeled potato and keep cooking. Then in goes some curry powder & frozen green peas. Add a lid. Keep cooking for another 10 minutes on low. No fresh green peas here, you want them soft. Salt & pepper to taste.

Leftover cold boiled jacket potato pan fried low and slow are better than chips imho.

I've been cooking spuds since I can remember, my fried chips contain 2 steps to make a perfect fries. Peel spuds that are frying type, a merry cans use russet, we use agria. Then slice to your thickness. As you cut drop them into cold water. This takes off a lot of starch. Then dry ,then fry at 190c, until half cooked, then drain and store until you are ready to cook again. Cook again until crisp.
My mash spuds are potatoes then mashed with cheese, butter, and cream, then lots of white pepper.
My fave is potatoe dauphinois .

Russ

My plan of "egg, beans and chips" has again been relegated to the back burner (there's a shortage of yoghurt apparently). It looks like samosas tomorrow (whether spring roll or traditional shape - who knows) .I may even add the yard long beans to the samosas contents.

Or maybe not.

My plan of "egg, beans and chips" has again been relegated to the back burner (there's a shortage of yoghurt apparently). It looks like samosas tomorrow (whether spring roll or traditional shape - who knows) .I may even add the yard long beans to the samosas contents.

Or maybe not.

I'm doing samosas as well in the next week to fill my freezer again. I make small ones for entrees.

Russ

Topics seem to meander like any conversation in real life. We are lucky we are still talking about some type of fried potatoes.

My mom used to make fried potato cakes out of left over mashed potaoes. Mashed Potato, onion, cracker crumbs, and eggs mixed together and shaped into a patty and fried in oil in a pan on the stove. They were not my favorite but a predictable breakfast item about 3 days after thanksgiving and christmas...the major mashed potato holidays.

Bubble and squeak is what my mum called left over potatoes and other left over roastys. Mashed up and fried.
I've never felt the need to make it.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom