Makes 4 Servings

Ingredients
8oz cheese pieces
1 garlic clove
1/4 cup dry white wine
Black pepper
Salt (if needed)

Directions
Place the cheese, garlic, wine, and a good grind of black pepper into the bowl of a food processor. Process for 30 seconds or so, until the mixture is creamy but not too soft. Taste and season with salt, if necessary.

Pack cheese mixture into small containers to use immediately, or refrigerate to serve cold. It can also be stored in the freezer.

Serve on crackers or on bread, and on bread, it can be broiled for a few minutes to make it wonderfully fragrant.

Recipe courtesy of Jacques Pepin

This makes a terrific snack or appetizer, either room temp, cold, or warmed in the broiler/grill. Just about any cheeses will do, the version I made for this recipe used parmesan, colby-jack, mozzarella, cheddar, romano, and some cream cheese. It's an excellent way to use up cheese that may be getting past its best.

The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Wine

It's an excellent way to use up cheese that may be getting past its best.

I didn't realize how useful this was going to be, but here I am checking on cheese I bought a week ago. I don't use wine very often, so this is a great way to use both of them up. :okay:

How's it taste?
I didn’t want to respond to this at first, because it tasted harsh initially. I decided to let it sit in the refrigerator for about half an hour, and it seems that that made all the difference as far as incorporating the flavors. I really like it. And, it beats the heck out of having to make 8 grilled cheese sandwiches.

I didn’t want to respond to this at first, because it tasted harsh initially. I decided to let it sit in the refrigerator for about half an hour, and it seems that that made all the difference as far as incorporating the flavors. I really like it. And, it beats the heck out of having to make 8 grilled cheese sandwiches.
Try throwing it under the broiler as well. Warming it is supposed to mellow it a bit.

Try throwing it under the broiler as well. Warming it is supposed to mellow it a bit.
B3F0B917-69EA-4874-B163-DF74063400FE.jpeg

The chunkiness was bothering me, so I microwaved it for a minute. Much prettier! There's more provolone than cheddar (about 60% - 40%), but you wouldn't know it from this picture.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom