Frozen fruit and vegetables

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
4:35 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
How much frozen fruit or veg do you use? This is stuff purchased ready frozen from the supermarket, not freezing fresh stuff or home grown stuff, but actually already frozen.

It might surprise you to know that I use quite a bit.

In my freezer at the moment are the following ready frozen fruit & veg
  • Edaname beans (in pods)
  • Edaname beans (podded)
  • Broad beans
  • Garden peas
  • Baby peas (closest thing we've got to petit pois)
  • Sweetcorn kernels
  • Spinach
  • Kale
  • 3 green bean mix
  • Mango pieces
  • Mixed ruby fruit
  • Raspberries
  • Coconut
  • Sweet potato fries (can't get straight sweet potatoes though)
  • Chips (also can't get potatoes in any other format without dairy on them already :( )
We're not actually able to get much/anything in the way of frozen herbs or spices which is something we used to buy a lot of in the UK and compared to the UK the choice of frozen fruit and veg is quite limited over here in Australia, every when we left 7 year years ago.

We buy frozen garden peas from New Zealand. Other than peas I think the only vegetable that we've bought pre-frozen was chips during my original experiment with the airfryer. That experiment was less than successful so we've not bought any since.

1683623791965.png

Peas and corn (off the cob), broccoli and cauliflower are regular freezer items for me. I much prefer frozen fruit to canned, and when various fruits are out of season, I find frozen fruits to have much more flavor than what is available fresh -- especially frozen berries.

CD

I buy the standard stuff - frozen berries, peas, corn, carrots, lima beans, potato products (like tater tots, hash browns, French fries/chips), then I forget I have it, because I buy fresh as well.

The only thing I buy frozen is green peas. Everything else is fresh. I should point out, however, that the Venezuelan market is definitely "poor" when it comes to frozen food in general - peas, peas&carrots, sweetcorn, yuca, french fries. That's about it, plus frozen strawberries. I suppose the other thing is that fresh, fresh fruit and veg are easily available, all year round, thanks to the tropical climate, and much, much cheaper than their frozen versions.

Peas and corn (off the cob), broccoli and cauliflower are regular freezer items for me. I much prefer frozen fruit to canned, and when various fruits are out of season, I find frozen fruits to have much more flavor than what is available fresh -- especially frozen berries.

CD

After reading other posts, I need to add okra (both plain and breaded), and frozen potatoes for fries and hash browns. I buy frozen pearl onions on the rare occasions that I need them.

CD

A lot of my veggies are frozen, they're cheaper and more convenient. The only fresh veggies I buy are carrots, spinach, coriander and green beans. I buy peas, brussel sprouts, broccoli and mixed vegetables (potatoes, carrot, peas) frozen. And I buy onions fresh but freeze them.

Because of my chronic illness I try to make use of frozen fruit and vegetables a lot, because when I have low energy days things don't get used and I don't like wasting anything so freezing food is more convenient.

Right now I have:
Mango
Raspberries
Blackberries
Blueberries
Cranberries
Green beans
Cauliflower
Spinach
Broccoli
Asparagus (green)
Edamame beans
Leeks
Bell pepper slices
Spring onions
Chillies
Frozen hash browns
Frozen diced potato
Fries
Basil/chives/coriander/thyme/mint/rosemary

We buy frozen garden peas from New Zealand. Other than peas I think the only vegetable that we've bought pre-frozen was chips during my original experiment with the airfryer. That experiment was less than successful so we've not bought any since.

Talleys here have a bad name for treating their staff. We dont buy talleys foods.
Watties here are a good corporate company.
Just saaaaaying. :)

Russ

We freeze as we pick from our garden: peas corn green and butter beans raspberries strawberries.
We buy frozen bags of mixed vegetable peas ice cream for grandkids.
Most for convenience.
Last night tea used 2 frozen products in the meal.

Russ

Because of my chronic illness I try to make use of frozen fruit and vegetables a lot, because when I have low energy days things don't get used and I don't like wasting anything so freezing food is more convenient.

Right now I have:
Mango
Raspberries
Blackberries
Blueberries
Cranberries
Green beans
Cauliflower
Spinach
Broccoli
Asparagus (green)
Edamame beans
Leeks
Bell pepper slices
Spring onions
Chillies
Frozen hash browns
Frozen diced potato
Fries
Basil/chives/coriander/thyme/mint/rosemary
That's one thing I've noticed changing countries. They're are loads of things on your list that I used to buy frozen but can't actually get frozen in Australia. Mind you I don't think I've ever seen frozen spring onions for sale even in the UK. I can't get any herbs (including garlic or ginger) frozen, no leeks, no peppers, no chillies, the only potato stuff that's not a chip has dairy in it (it didn't have in the UK) and so on.

However, I do freeze my own herbs, but that's not the subject of this thread. In the UK, I used to routinely buy frozen herbs when I had no garden or windowsills.

That's one thing I've noticed changing countries. They're are loads of things on your list that I used to buy frozen but can't actually get frozen in Australia. Mind you I don't think I've ever seen frozen spring onions for sale even in the UK. I can't get any herbs (including garlic or ginger) frozen, no leeks, no peppers, no chillies, the only potato stuff that's not a chip has dairy in it (it didn't have in the UK) and so on.

However, I do freeze my own herbs, but that's not the subject of this thread. In the UK, I used to routinely buy frozen herbs when I had no garden or windowsills.
I freeze my spring onions and leeks myself so that might have to do with it, but yeah otherwise I can buy all of this at the store. Do you have any clue why this is not sold in Australia? Makes no sense to me. I understand you must miss it given your own condition!

Back
Top Bottom