Recipe Gai Krapow (Thai Basil) Sausage Rolls

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
5:24 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com

Every time I'd walk out my garage, I'd see my little garden, and I'd check the plants I have growing there. It's at the end of the season for all of them. The only one I hadn't used yet was the Thai Basil.

I had always intended to make Gai Krapow; this fusion of concepts was a fun idea. Traditionally, of course, a Gai Krapow would be made with Thai bird chilis. But, I had 2 small serrano peppers in my garden, so I used them. My only regret is forgetting to snip some chives and scatter them on top of the egg before taking the top picture.

Ingredients

1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 serrano pepper, diced
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
2 tablespoons ginger, grated
5 garlic cloves, grated
1 pound chicken breast, ground (I ground my own)
1 tablespoon gochujang
2 tablespoons ponzu
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1/3 cup chicken stock
1 cup Thai basil leaves
1 egg (plus additional eggs for serving)
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1 puff pastry sheet

Directions

1. Heat oils in a large pan on medium-high heat. Add onions and peppers, and heat for a few minutes. Add sesame seeds, garlic, and ginger, and heat for 1 minute, stirring continuously to prevent burning. Add chicken and stir for a few minutes to brown the outside, but don't cook completely through (baking will complete the cooking process).

2. Stir in gochujang, ponzu, fish sauce, and chicken stock and cook for another minute or two. Stir in Thai basil leaves, reduce heat to medium, and cook for another minute. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Mix in egg and breadcrumbs.

3. Roll out puff pastry sheet on a lightly-floured work surface. Separate sheet into 6 equal-sized sections. Scoop equal amounts of the mixture onto each section. Stretch the edges and pinch together to seal the mixture inside.

4. Brush baking sheet and exterior of each roll with oil. In an oven heated to 375°F (190°C), bake for 10 minutes. Rotate rolls front-to-back, and bake for another 10 minutes. Turn on the broiler and bake until browned on the outside. Serve with a fried egg, or with Burt Blank's baked beans.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom