Recipe Garlic and Potato Mayonnaise

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
3:21 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I spotted this recipe in a magazine whilst at a medical appointment a few days ago and thought of the current potato ingredient challenge.

Ingredients
  • 165ml light olive oil
  • 8 garlic cloves
  • 400g potato, boiled, peeled
  • 80ml soya milk
  • 1 tsp mustard powder
  • 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
  • Salt, to season
Method
  1. Peel the garlic cloves, then blanch in boiling water for 30 seconds and place in iced/cold water for a minute or two. Now drain and dry the cloves with a good shake in a sieve.
  2. Put the olive oil and garlic cloves in a small saucepan over medium to low heat and bring to a gentle simmer. Simmer for 2 minutes, then remove from heat and cool completely.
  3. Once the garlic and oil have cooled, place the smallest bowl of a food processor along with the remaining ingredients and pulse several times until smooth. Season as needed and if the mayonnaise is too thick add a 1 tbsp of cold soya milk and pulse to thin, repeat until desired consistency is reached.
Edit: I've corrected what appears to be a typo with the quantity of potatoes needed from the original thai I took this recipe from. I'll try it again tomorrow.

This is the link to the recipe (now thay I've found it) in the Delicious magazine that I chopped tbe recipe from before veganising it and alternating it. Steamed artichokes with green garlic mayonnaise - Recipes - delicious.com.au

Last edited:
I spotted this recipe in a magazine whilst at a medical appointment a few days ago and thought of the current potato ingredient challenge.

Ingredients
  • 165ml light olive oil
  • 8 garlic cloves
  • 40g potato, boiled, peeled (keep another 20g available in case the mayonnaise is too thin)
  • 80ml soya milk
  • 1 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
Method
  1. Peel the garlic cloves, then blanch in boiling water for 30 seconds and place in iced/cold water for a minute or two. Now drain and dry the cloves with a good shake in a sieve.
  2. Put the olive oil and garlic cloves in a small saucepan over medium to low heat and bring to a gentle simmer. Simmer for 2 minutes, then remove from heat and cool completely.
  3. Once the garlic and oil have cooled, place the smallest bowl of a food processor along with the remaining ingredients and pulse several times until smooth. Season as needed and if the mayonnaise is too thick add a ½ tsp of cold soya milk and pulse to thin, repeat until desired consistency is reached. If it is too thin (as in my case), ag the extra potato and blend again.
Okay, that is weird. I've never heard of anything like it. What do you do with it? I can't imagine you eat it all by itself. Is is condiment, like regular mayo?

CD

I have to say that I am not 100% convinced by this recipe (I had to make a double batch for a variety of reasons, so the image shows twice what the recipe would produce). It's OK, but...

Edit: Re-reading the ingredients, I realise that I failed to add the lemon juice. I will add it and taste it again! (and I have all those lemons from my lemon tree as well!)

Ingredients
  • 165ml light olive oil
  • 8 garlic cloves
  • 400g potato, boiled, peeled
  • 80ml soya milk
  • 1 tsp mustard powder
  • 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
  • Salt, to season
Method
  3. Once the garlic and oil have cooled, place the smallest bowl of a food processor along with the remaining ingredients and pulse several times until smooth. Season as needed and if the mayonnaise is too thick add a 1 tbsp of cold soya milk and pulse to thin, repeat until desired consistency is reached.
Edit: I've corrected what appears to be a typo with the quantity of potatoes needed from the original thai I took this recipe from. I'll try it again tomorrow.

This is the link to the recipe (now thay I've found it) in the Delicious magazine that I chopped tbe recipe from before veganising it and alternating it. Steamed artichokes with green garlic mayonnaise - Recipes - delicious.com.au

I will try it, but is it okay that if I can use coconut milk instead of soya milk, my sister is actually allergic.

I will try it, but is it okay that if I can use coconut milk instead of soya milk, my sister is actually allergic.
I would imagine that it will be fine. Some recipes I've seen don't include milk at all (though most do) so I can easily see it omitted or replaced. I had just gone with soya milk because it is the closest there is to dairy milk on a protein basis.

Back
Top Bottom