Garlic bread home made

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
1:43 PM
image.jpeg

ok I make my own, my friend just gave me a garlic plait. I pull the cloves apart and freeze the cloves in ice cream containers.pic shown. I use 1 pound of butter and about 2 whole bulbs worth of garlic cut and chopped finely. Then I add about 1/4 cup olive oil which I find keeps it soft. Also about 2 teaspoons of parsley chopped up. My friend grows and sells garlic but we swap stuff so it doesn't cost me. The other reason I freeze garlic is that when you make the butter up, it keeps for ages, but fresh it goes mouldy after about a week. Mine keeps in the fridge for weeks and weeks.

Russ

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't make my own bread (I've tried) but I love garlic bread with chilli con carne. I used previously frozen pureed garlic about 50/50 with butter and sprinkle on dried parsley if I don't have fresh.

chili garlic bread 2 s.jpg

One of my favorite ways to make garlic bread is to toast pieces of diagonally sliced baguette, rub them with a clove of raw garlic and then with fresh tomato. Simple with a pungent garlic flavor.

Last edited:
I have to make my own garlic bread. No butter here in afraid.

Raw garlic, extra virgin olive oil and some fresh warm home made sourdough or similar. If i remember the garlic goes into the olive oil the night before so that the flavours have chance to mingle, but I won't complain if I have forgotten. Then it's a case of dip and dunk and just enjoy the bread.

Are Garlic Knots known anywhere else in the world outside of the USA?
Imo, they're better than garlic bread.

They are made from pizza dough that is rolled into 5 or 6" long tubes (like one would use to make a pretzel), then the dough is brushed with a melted compound butter of garlic and often oregano and basil, and twisted down into a knot or ball about the size of a child's fist. Then they are brushed with the garlic butter again, sprinkled with large grain salt and baked.

Are Garlic Knots known anywhere else in the world outside of the USA?
Imo, they're better than garlic bread.

They are made from pizza dough that is rolled into 5 or 6" long tubes (like one would use to make a pretzel), then the dough is brushed with a melted compound butter of garlic and often oregano and basil, and twisted down into a knot or ball about the size of a child's fist. Then they are brushed with the garlic butter again, sprinkled with large grain salt and baked.

Not knots but garlic dough balls - sold in Pizza places.

Not knots but garlic dough balls - sold in Pizza places.
The main difference being that dough balls are vegan. @buckytom's description is far from it. you could, post time I was in the UK, get all 3 courses vegan if you spoke with your waiter/ess. The dough balls dipped in olive oil and garlic or olive oil and balsamic vinegar being the starter.

I mince garlic, put it in a glass bowl and microwave it for about a minute and then let it sit for a while. Then use it to either dip or I put freshly baked knots in a big bowl, pour the garlic oil over, and toss. Vegan up to that point, but I usually add grated parm too.

I forgot to add that when you serve you grill the bread on one side then turn it over and put lots of garlic butter on then grill again, then, this is the best bit, put a drizzle of sweet chilly sauce on it, then a few pieces of cheddar cheese on top and grill til it's bubbling. These go down a real treat.

Russ

The main difference being that dough balls are vegan. @buckytom's description is far from it. you could, post time I was in the UK, get all 3 courses vegan if you spoke with your waiter/ess. The dough balls dipped in olive oil and garlic or olive oil and balsamic vinegar being the starter.

After looking up the fact that butter is not vegan (how in the world does it harm a cow to milk it?), I am convinced that we are eating the wrong species. Save a cow, eat a vegan.

After looking up the fact that butter is not vegan (how in the world does it harm a cow to milk it?), I am convinced that we are eating the wrong species. Save a cow, eat a vegan.
It's not the cow but the calf... However this isn't the place to have that discussion.

And I'm technically vegetarian with a fatal allergy to milk proteins. But it's easier to say vegan or vegan plus eggs from my chooks.

I discovered a new idea relating to garlic bread - toasted garlic butter crumpet!

Crumpets are perfect for absorbing the garlic because they have holes. Toast the crumpet and rub a cut clove of garlic over the surface. The crispy edges of the holes act like a grater. Then butter - the butter oozes down into the holes along with the garlic. If I get a moment I'll post it as a recipe (such as it is).

I discovered a new idea relating to garlic bread - toasted garlic butter crumpet!

Crumpets are perfect for absorbing the garlic because they have holes. Toast the crumpet and rub a cut clove of garlic over the surface. The crispy edges of the holes act like a grater. Then butter - the butter oozes down into the holes along with the garlic. If I get a moment I'll post it as a recipe (such as it is).

Ahhhh pikelets! Like these but in these there was no garlic involved. Maybe I should try garlic?

pikelets 3 s.jpg

Back
Top Bottom