Recipe Garlic Gold Dust

Note: I tried to make some more and failed! It either became burnt inside or was too soft and not toasted. Maybe it was because I was trying to cook too many cloves at once.

This is a warning to anyone who tries this - do it one clove at a time and ensure the clove is completely dried out before grating. Back to try again tomorrow. I got too upset to persist today... :(
I was about to try five cloves, glad I checked here first!

Note: I tried to make some more and failed! It either became burnt inside or was too soft and not toasted. Maybe it was because I was trying to cook too many cloves at once.

This is a warning to anyone who tries this - do it one clove at a time and ensure the clove is completely dried out before grating. Back to try again tomorrow. I got too upset to persist today... :(
Didn't read this soon enough 🙃🙃 - I tried about a half dozen cloves at once and they were soft unable to micro grate. So I just chopped them and threw them into the soup I was making. Will try a lone clove tomorrow.
I love garlic - thank you for the tips on making "garlic gold dust".

Does it taste like roasted garlic? I'd like to try it but I'm afraid it will smell up the microwave (and the kitchen) and my spouse will complain.
I can't even imagine anyone complaining about the smell of garlic, LOL! Better than flowers :)

I have taken an entire bulb of garlic after rinsing in water and wrapped in foil and put it in my toaster oven for about 4 minutes just to get the skin off so I could have fresh garlic to chop for a recipe (easier than smashing with a knife or using a press). I have also left it the toaster oven longer to achieve roasted garlic which oozes out in a yummy paste to use for bread or a dish, but never thought to microwave it to grate it. Awesome!

I can't even imagine anyone complaining about the smell of garlic, LOL! Better than flowers :)
I'm another one who thinks garlic is just about the best smell there is. I love it.

You ever make something with garlic, then later, you have a piece of cake, forget about that garlic you chopped, and try a bit of the frosting with your garlic finger? When that happens, I think, "Oh, yeah...😏"

No, I haven't done that, but that's probably because I don't eat dessert very often. But I have taken a loaf of fresh crusty bread, some EVOO, roasted garlic, some fresh herbs, a nice bottle or 2 of good red wine (Chianti or similar), and made that dinner. :dance:

I take a cracker ( Wheat Thins are my favorite ) and smear cream cheese on it then topped with a wafer thin slice of raw garlic. Yum!

Ok, that didn't take long. I threw a single medium-sized clove on a saucer, set for one minute.

At about 25 seconds, a very strong garlic smell, but at about 30 seconds, and very strong burning smell.

I pulled the garlic out (32 seconds), let it sit for a few minutes, then popped it out of its skin.

It wasn't very hard. It was quite spongy, so that'd seem it hadn't been zapped long enough. However, both the stem end and a good portion of the back of the clove were burnt black, so I've managed to both under and over cook it at the same time (something I've also done with boiled eggs!).

Microwaves vary greatly in many ways, apparently. I have a large one that is above my stove and it takes longer than my neighbor's countertop microwave to heat and/or cook just about anything. And apparently they don't all cook evenly. What about trying to do it in a toaster oven (or just the oven if you don't have one) on a very low bake and see if it dries out properly?

. And apparently they don't all cook evenly. What about trying to do it in a toaster oven (or just the oven if you don't have one) on a very low bake and see if it dries out properly?

Could do - but I think it would take a long time. The quest is to get the cloves hard so that they grate and slightly golden.

Back
Top Bottom