Gingersnaps

Ginger cake and parkin are also good. And of course, you can add ginger to flapjacks. It tastes great in flapjacks. I do it all the time.

Ginger cake and parkin are also good. And of course, you can add ginger to flapjacks. It tastes great in flapjacks. I do it all the time.

I had to look up parkin, because I'd never heard of it. I'm surprised I'd never heard of gingerbread made with oatmeal, especially with the recent oatmeal craze, but I'll have to try it.

par·kin
ˈpärkin/
noun
BRITISH
  1. a kind of dark gingerbread, typically with a soft, dry texture, made with oatmeal and molasses.

I like ginger snaps the best because they are small and crunchy. Since it is summer right now, I think it is way too early for me to start craving holiday sweets, but I hope you get to curb your ginger craving. When the weather is 80 degrees out I crave fresh sweets like key lime pie or lemon cake.

I had to look up parkin, because I'd never heard of it. I'm surprised I'd never heard of gingerbread made with oatmeal, especially with the recent oatmeal craze, but I'll have to try it.

par·kin
ˈpärkin/
noun
BRITISH
  1. a kind of dark gingerbread, typically with a soft, dry texture, made with oatmeal and molasses.

Parkin isn't made with oats, flapjacks are though. Parkin is like a ginger cake. It's lighter in colour and has a moist texture. I'll look for the recipes for both. Flapjacks ars very simple and easy to make.

Here is the recipe for flapjacks

175g/6oz butter
175g/60z golden syrup
175g/6oz muscavado sugar or demerara sugar
350g/12 oz porridge oats
ground ginger to taste.

pre heat oven to 150c/300f/gaz mRk 2. Line a 20cm/8in square baking tin with grease proof paper.

melt, butter, golden syrup, and sugar over a low heat.

remove from the heat and add to the oats and ground ginger.

place the mixture in the tin and squash down.

Bake in the oven for 40 mins.

leave to cool for 15 minutes, then you can cut into squares. Keep in an air tight container.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-07-27-15-07-56.png
    Screenshot_2015-07-27-15-07-56.png
    503.5 KB · Views: 228
Here is the recipe for parkin. There are recipes for parkin made with oats, but this one is much nicer. Its my favourate recipe
Screenshot_2015-07-27-15-31-23.png

par·kin
ˈpärkin/
noun
BRITISH
I posted a recipe for it here quite some time ago (2 years?).. :whistling:
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/parkin.179/

I posted a recipe for it here quite some time ago (2 years?).. :whistling:
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/parkin.179/
Just looked at your recipe and noted you said it didn't quite live up to the glory of the original. My version has more black treacle and no golden syrup but adds black tea and whisky (preferably a good smokey whiskey). Not saying mine's any better, its just that I'm noting the differences. The whiskey certainly adds a dimension!

Just looked at your recipe and noted you said it didn't quite live up to the glory of the original. My version has more black treacle and no golden syrup but adds black tea and whisky (preferably a good smokey whiskey). Not saying mine's any better, its just that I'm noting the differences. The whiskey certainly adds a dimension!
I can't see a recipe for your version.
Whisky, Scots not Irish or American, would add an interesting dimension but I also need dairy free which is the main issue. We have memories of an old traditional parkin we used to be able to get from only 1 shop but they stopped stocking it because of it going off too quickly! Memories of taste are hard to compete with.

I can't see a recipe for your version.
Whisky, Scots not Irish or American, would add an interesting dimension but I also need dairy free which is the main issue. We have memories of an old traditional parkin we used to be able to get from only 1 shop but they stopped stocking it because of it going off too quickly! Memories of taste are hard to compete with.

Sorry. Forgot how to spell whisky! :oops:. Its all this transatlantic translation which had muddled me. I'll post a recipe. For dairy free, I am assuming one could use sunflower oil or similar in place of butter.

For dairy free, I am assuming one could use sunflower oil or similar in place of butter
probably not. They don't equate. A solid fat usually needs replacing with a solid fat but it depends on the recipe, however there are a couple of dairy free marg options that can be tried...
thanks

probably not. They don't equate. A solid fat usually needs replacing with a solid fat but it depends on the recipe, however there are a couple of dairy free marg options that can be tried...
thanks
You may be right although I've often used oil in cake/ceral bars instead of butter. I was thinking that it could help the moistness. But maybe its important to use a semi sold fat so that as it cools it produces a fudgy texture. I'm just guessing! I did find one recipe which uses oil: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/picnic_parkin_46362

My grandmother use to make the best ginger cookies. All her grandchildren loved them. Sadly now of us ever got the recipe from her before she passed. She never had the recipe written down anywhere. She made them for so many years that she had it in her head. She took the recipe to her grave. I have had many different ones over the years but nothing even compares to the ones that she use to make.

I love ginger cookies. We did a cookie exchange at work last Christmas and that was one of the cookies we got. They were crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. It has molasse in it and lots of ginger flavour. My kids absolutely loved them, now I have to get the recipe so I can make them.

Back
Top Bottom