SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
11:14 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Does anyone have an tried and trusted recipes for traditional parkin? I am looking for a nice gingery sticky one please that includes both oatmeal & treacle/black molasses.

I ask because we used to buy some wonderful parkin from the lake district from one particular shop which stocked it. they stopped stocking it due to reliability issues and I have not relocated it since.

I have tried various parkin recipes but they always seem so plain and nothing like the one we loved.
the current parkin recipe calls for 4 tsp ground ginger, 2 tsp nutmeg & 1 tsp of mixed spices but it seems to be missing something - lemon? not sure but neither of us thinks it is particularly spicy/gingery.
Ingredients:

• 8 oz/220g soft butter
  • 4 oz/110g soft, dark brown sugar
  • 3 oz / 55g black treacle/molasses
  • 6 oz / 200g golden syrup/ corn syrup
  • 6 oz medium oatmeal
  • 6 oz self raising flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 4 tsp ground ginger
  • 2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 tsp mixed spice
  • 2 large eggs, beaten
  • 2 tbsp milk

This may be a stupid question cos you may say yes I do that... but you have wrapped the parkin up after it has cooled in grease proof & foil for a few days for it to mature before you eat it? cos if not then that is what is missing.

You're right, it can be left for up to a week wrapped in greaseproof paper to get sticky and moist... however, it does not have to be and to be honest, in this household does not usually last that long but it is still nowhere near as nice as the one we used to purchase for some reason, even when it has been left to mature for a week! :whistling:

Oh no help at all then. Can't say I do parkin I generally do a gingerbread slab cake that again is left to mature & get sticky, you might try adding some grated ginger root that might give it the zing?

Back
Top Bottom