2:11 AM
Ingredients:
25 gms butter
1 large leek, finely chopped
175 gms breadcrumbs (about 3 slices)
2 tbsps thyme, or mixed herbs
2 eggs, 1 large, 1 small
150 gms Caerphilly cheese * or similar, crumbly white cheese
2 tsps mustard (either dried or prepared)
Pinch of salt and pepper
25 gms all purpose flour
50 mls oil for frying

*Caerphilly is a white, crumbly, somewhat sharp cheese from Wales. You could use Wensleydale, Lancashire or Cheshire cheese instead. The crumbly texture and the sharpness are key to the flavour of the sausages, which is why I wouldn´t suggest any other variety of cheese.

Method:
  • Melt the butter in a pan and gently fry the leeks, with the herbs, until soft. Set aside.
  • Put 150 gms breadcrumbs in a large bowl, leaving around 25 gms for breading/frying.
  • Add the large egg, beaten, along with the leeks, finely grated (or crumbled) cheese , the mustard and the s&p. Mix together until the mixture is fairly stiff.
  • Take a small ball of the mixture and form into "sausages" about 7-10 cms (3-4 inches) long. Roll in the flour and set aside until all the mixture is used up.
  • Beat the small egg and put it in a shallow bowl, or plate, and put the extra breadcrumbs next to it.
  • Dip each "sausage" into the egg mixture, then into the breadcrumbs until well covered.
  • Fry the "sausages" for about 5 minutes, turning occasionally, until browned.
    Glamorgan sausage 1.jpg
    Glamorgan sausage 2.jpg
    Glamorgan sausage 3.jpg

Great traditional vegetarian fare. I was thinking of making these for the current challenge - you beat me to it but I'm still not fit enough to cook anything so I'm pleased you posted it. No tag though for the challenge!

Back
Top Bottom