Gluten free baking

I've tried several times to make gluten free bread - not because I need to but out of interest. I've had no success at all despite trying various tricks. This recipe uses Xanthum gum (tried that) plus additional baking soda (tried that).

I'll take my hat off to you @medtran49 if you can make this recipe and it works. I've got to the point where I'm fed up with trying! I know @Herbie has not had much success either (her husband has to follow gluten free).

Oh, I'm not interested in trying it. I love good old fashion bread too much. I think it just came up because it was trending and I look up baking items from time to time. I just thought some of it looked like pretty decent bread and I remembered some of the members mentioning trying it.

I have also had no success making gluten free bread....that is, nothing I'd want to eat (or serve to my gluten-intolerant brother). Two things I have never seen in a dough that appear here: cultured buttermilk blend powder and cream of tartar. Maybe that helps make the difference? The buns certainly LOOK good.

I may be out of touch on this, but I thought that gluten develops as you knead the dough. I see a lot of stuff at Whole Foods that read gluten-free, but I'm a little bit confused on this subject. :unsure:

I have also had no success making gluten free bread....that is, nothing I'd want to eat (or serve to my gluten-intolerant brother). Two things I have never seen in a dough that appear here: cultured buttermilk blend powder and cream of tartar. Maybe that helps make the difference? The buns certainly LOOK good.

I've learned that photos seem to lie - I've tried gluten-free recipes where the photos look good and ended up with nothing resembling them. I think I'm a pretty decent bread and pastry maker so I really don't get it.

Maybe the cultured buttermilk blend powder and cream of tartar will make a difference. Are you going to try @The Late Night Gourmet . You have more incentive than me as your brother is gluten-intolerant.

I have a question, is not it good to take some gluten products? Extra is not good, I know but I think gluten also has some significance. Please answer.

I have a question, is not it good to take some gluten products? Extra is not good, I know but I think gluten also has some significance. Please answer.

Its only a problem if you are proven medically to be gluten intolerant (which is quite rare). However, it has become a 'trendy' healthy diet fad. The supermarkets and food manufacturers are making a lot of money from the trend!

Back
Top Bottom