Recipe Gluten free vegan scones

Herbie

Veteran
Local time
3:49 PM
I was tasked with making scones for a women's meeting to cover everyone with food allergies, coeliac etc. So I needed to cover
  • vegan
  • gluten free
  • nut free
  • dried fruit free
I tried to make one batch to cover everyone but ended up with three. One lot made with rice milk. This turned out ok but the batch I made with cashew milk was better. To half the cashew batch I added sultanas.

ETA: This is based on a recipe from the Free From Fairy

350g gf self raising flour
1tsp gf baking powder
85g vegan 'butter ('Pure' with olive oil)
2tbsp granulated sugar
Handful or saltanas
175ml cashew /rice milk
Two splashes of lemon juice

Mix flour sugar and baking powder.
Rub in 'butter'
Warm the milk and lemon juice in the microwave for 30 seconds.
Add milk to a well in the dry mixture and stir in.
With hands bring the mixture to a ball. Cover and leave for 30 minutes. (As it is gf flour, don't overwork the mixture).
I used an ice-cream scoop to make and flattened the domes a little. This minimised handling the mixture.

Cook at 200 for ten minutes

Last edited:
I think I made something a bit similar for vegan son - I would have used almond milk, which I find works well in most baking recipes calling for milk. Good idea to add lemon juice so that you get a buttermilk taste. I hadn't thought of that. Did the women's group like them?

They went down very well with those who are gluten free but got a few 'ours look nicer' from other people. To be fair theirs looked far, far nicer but at least people were not ill!

@morning glory there is a recipe on the flora website for scones using almond meal along with the flour that sounds good.

Mine, of course weren't gluten free - just vegan. That is much, much easier.

They went down very well with those who are gluten free but got a few 'ours look nicer' from other people. To be fair theirs looked far, far nicer but at least people were not ill!

Its so, so difficult to make gluten free look as good. So I think you did really well. I'll check out that recipe link - but Flora, of course is not vegan. Well, not unless they have now got a new range. I do think that mostly, one can sub vegan marge for butter or other margarine and the recipe works.

Back
Top Bottom