Recipe Gnocchi with jumbo lump crab meat and black truffle

I guess I just can't recall ever seeing anything on the menu at the Italian restaurants up here with truffles in them.

Anything using truffles in a restaurant is going to be very very expensive! Here you would probably only find them in high end expensive Michelin star type restaurants. My cheapskate substitute is truffles preserved in a jar - not as good as fresh but still good. Here they are a fraction of the price of fresh. See recipe where I used them here:

Recipe - Cauliflower with cheese & wine sauce

Not sure if you can get similar where you are. These translate as about $12:

Last edited:
Ok I need to find truffles?

Russ

The ones most probably available to you would be Chinese, as they apparently got hold of some truffle spore and started seeding them some years back. I haven't tried any, but the folks at House of Caviar told Craig they weren't that good, not even on par with the American grown truffles. I have tried the American white truffles and they are definitely lacking when compared to even the European black summer truffles.

Anything using truffles in a restaurant is going to be very very expensive! Here you would probably only find them in high end expensive Michelin star type restaurants. My cheapskate substitute is truffles preserved in a jar - not as good as fresh but still good. Here they are a fraction of the price of fresh. See recipe where I used them here:

Recipe - Cauliflower with cheese & wine sauce

Not sure if you can get similar where you are. These translate as about $12:

You can get jarred truffles here, as well as truffle shavings and various truffle products, pates, butters, cheese, salt, etc. In fact, I used some truffle salt last night.

I've never tried anything from either of them, but Urbani and D'Artagnan supposedly have good products. You could probably drizzle some truffle oil on the gnocchi as a good substitute, but make sure it is oil made with real truffles and not chemicals. They also both sell fresh truffles in season. I think it was the Urbani company that took the Top Chef people on the truffle hunt.

If anyone does get a fresh truffle, order one of these beforehand instead of paying a pretty penny for a truffle slicer. I use it for truffles at the #1 setting and for lots of other things as well.

Amazon.com kyocera adjustable mandoline

You can get jarred truffles here, as well as truffle shavings and various truffle products, pates, butters, cheese, salt, etc. In fact, I used some truffle salt last night.

I've never tried anything from either of them, but Urbani and D'Artagnan supposedly have good products. You could probably drizzle some truffle oil on the gnocchi as a good substitute, but make sure it is oil made with real truffles and not chemicals. They also both sell fresh truffles in season. I think it was the Urbani company that took the Top Chef people on the truffle hunt.

If anyone does get a fresh truffle, order one of these beforehand instead of paying a pretty penny for a truffle slicer. I use it for truffles at the #1 setting and for lots of other things as well.

Amazon.com kyocera adjustable mandoline
That looks a lot like my mandoline but I'm not sure it's the same brand, I'll have to look.

I will look for truffles on Amazon, but I can indeed find quality canned crab meat at a few places. (At least I could back down in Connecticut; I haven't looked up here. I actually would like to buy a lobster the next time they are on sale - once it is warm enough to crack them open outdoors - too messy to play with indoors). I could set some of the meat aside for this lovely dish!

Totally agree with those earlier comments about fake "crab". Terrible stuff!

Back
Top Bottom