Recipe Gnocchi with jumbo lump crab meat and black truffle

Russ, you want something like

Fresh Wild Caught Jumbo Lump Crab Meat, 454g.

Or

Fresh Wild Caught Backfin Lump Crab Meat, 454g

I don't see where it is from though. Does NZ not require that on labels rascal ?
I saw where Russ wrote NZ doesn't have large crabs, but the web site implies they source their products from NZ, so???

ETA: I just found the above brand's web site. It's:Pasteurized Crabmeat - Harbor Seafood and the crab is not from New Zealand.

From the web site - "Our boutique plants can be found throughout Indonesia, Thailand, India, Sri Lanka and the Philippines. At last, a product we are proud to call our own!"

At least it is wild caught though and not farmed. It is labeled as wild caught for what they sell in the US.

Last edited:
Russ, you want something like

Fresh Wild Caught Jumbo Lump Crab Meat, 454g.

Or

Fresh Wild Caught Backfin Lump Crab Meat, 454g

I don't see where it is from though. Does NZ not require that on labels rascal ?
I saw where Russ wrote NZ doesn't have large crabs, but the web site implies they source their products from NZ, so???

ETA: I just found the above brand's web site. It's:Pasteurized Crabmeat - Harbor Seafood and the crab is not from New Zealand.

From the web site - "Our boutique plants can be found throughout Indonesia, Thailand, India, Sri Lanka and the Philippines. At last, a product we are proud to call our own!"

At least it is wild caught though and not farmed. It is labeled as wild caught for what they sell in the US.

I'm not aware of big crabs here, havnt been to supermarket yet, but I expect we will have crab meat from Asia. Our prawns are from Vietnam. We have native fresh water called koura. They are yummy but not commercial. I know where I can go get a feed but it's laborious.
We also have surimi which I like with real shrimp/prawns.

Russ

I didn't spot that. I am sure you are correct but where does it say that?

Right above the nutritional information. I enlarged it. I'm paranoid about looking. We came across some frozen crawfish tails that were labeled Breaux Bridge something or other, which is supposedly the crawfish capital of the world and is a city in Louisiana. The price seemed to be too good to be true, so I flipped it over and started reading the fine print. Product of China. Did a little digging and found out China ships it to Breaux Bridge so they can claim the name, but it is only packaged there, not produced there.

Right above the nutritional information. I enlarged it. I'm paranoid about looking. We came across some frozen crawfish tails that were labeled Breaux Bridge something or other, which is supposedly the crawfish capital of the world and is a city in Louisiana. The price seemed to be too good to be true, so I flipped it over and started reading the fine print. Product of China. Did a little digging and found out China ships it to Breaux Bridge so they can claim the name, but it is only packaged there, not produced there.

I was at a market in Brisbane (Carrara) and they were selling Chinese whitebait advertised as nz whitebait. I spoke to the guy and said its nothing even remotely like nz whitebait. He just shrugged his shoulders and walked away.

Russ

I'm not aware of big crabs here, havnt been to supermarket yet, but I expect we will have crab meat from Asia. Our prawns are from Vietnam. We have native fresh water called koura. They are yummy but not commercial. I know where I can go get a feed but it's laborious.
We also have surimi which I like with real shrimp/prawns.

Russ

Surimi is the fake krab made out of white fish and other seafood.

Just wondering where I can find black truffle, probably have to get it from Cleveland. I don't know if there are any gourmet food stores in my area that might have them, guess I will start looking.

We get ours at TRUFFLES / Fresh and Preserved – House of Caviar and Fine Foods Online Store , but winter season is pretty much over and summer won't start for a month or 2. They are local to us though do ship. If you guys go to any fine dining restaurant that has caviar and possibly truffles on their menu, you might ask about their supplier. I found this place after lots of searching.

We get ours at TRUFFLES / Fresh and Preserved – House of Caviar and Fine Foods Online Store , but winter season is pretty much over and summer won't start for a month or 2. They are local to us though do ship. If you guys go to any fine dining restaurant that has caviar and possibly truffles on their menu, you might ask about their supplier. I found this place after lots of searching.
We haven't eaten in a restaurant in over a year and it might be quite awhile before we do so, even after we get both vaccines.

I saw some on Amazon but since I have never eaten a truffle in my life I have no idea what brand or type to buy. I will check out your online store, thank you.

Last edited:
We haven't eaten in a restaurant in over a year and it might be quite awhile before we do so, even after we get both vaccines.

I saw some on Amazon but since I have never eaten a truffle in my life I have no idea what brand or type to buy. I will check out your online store, thank you.

Be careful with Amazon and truffles. I looked once just for the heck of it, saw some at a decent price, not a too good to be true price, just decent, and decided to order. Never got them and finally had to file a dispute with my CC company to get money back because seller kept jerking me around.

BTW, we haven't eaten in a restaurant either, but I do know our favorite high end Italian place is open, but it's tiny and I have no idea how they are seating people far enough apart to make it worth their while to stay open.

Be careful with Amazon and truffles. I looked once just for the heck of it, saw some at a decent price, not a too good to be true price, just decent, and decided to order. Never got them and finally had to file a dispute with my CC company to get money back because seller kept jerking me around.

BTW, we haven't eaten in a restaurant either, but I do know our favorite high end Italian place is open, but it's tiny and I have no idea how they are seating people far enough apart to make it worth their while to stay open.
Do they do much with truffles in Italian restaurants? In my mind I was thinking French cuisine more than Italian, but I don't know much about it obviously.

Do they do much with truffles in Italian restaurants? In my mind I was thinking French cuisine more than Italian, but I don't know much about it obviously.

Italy and France are both big truffle producers. There's a Top Chef episode I think from last season where the cheftestants got to go truffle hunting in Italy.

Italy and France are both big truffle producers. There's a Top Chef episode I think from last season where the cheftestants got to go truffle hunting in Italy.
I guess I just can't recall ever seeing anything on the menu at the Italian restaurants up here with truffles in them.

Back
Top Bottom