Good ideas to use more yogurt

Pat

Veteran
Local time
4:59 PM
I like yogurt mostly the kind that has the fruit already in the mix. I know it has a lot of sugar which is not to good for you compared to the greek yogurt. I use yogurt in smoothies and as an alternative for milk on my cereal.

How do you use yogurt?

have you tried lassi? Yogurt is quite prominent in Indian cuisine, and lassi's basically a yogurt fruit smoothie with ice. Really healthy, delicious and refreshing in the summer or after a heavy meal.

Mint_lassi.jpg

Attachments

• Mint_lassi.jpg
    Mint_lassi.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 167
I have never tried Lassi and have been somewhat afraid of it, but that picture looks so good! I wonder what is in it that has made it green? Is Lassi a sweet taste, or more tart?

Lassi sure looks good. I generally just have yogurt as is. Like Pat I like mine with the fruit. I have been reading of person substituting yogurt in some baking products. I am yet to try something like that. I actually looked up a few recipes that called for yogurt. I love potato salad and found this recipe that includes yogurt. It looks like something I would try.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/creamy-potato-salad-0

I have never tried Lassi and have been somewhat afraid of it, but that picture looks so good! I wonder what is in it that has made it green? Is Lassi a sweet taste, or more tart?

It's garnished with mint, so maybe it's mint flavour and the mint gives the green colour....

As to how sweet it is, it depends how you make it, Lassi can be sweet or savoury, with more or less sugar or fruit added. My favourite is mango lassi, just yoghurt blended with mango purree, which is quite a sweet one.

Lassi can be sweet or salty - it's essentially water, yoghurt and salt/sugar. I prefer the salty version which is much like Turkish ayran.

Don't forget yoghurt is a savoury ingredient too. I eat loads of it with simply bulgar or rice pilafs, sometimes as cacik or raita.

have you tried lassi? Yogurt is quite prominent in Indian cuisine, and lassi's basically a yogurt fruit smoothie with ice. Really healthy, delicious and refreshing in the summer or after a heavy meal.

Mint_lassi.jpg

Try taking yogurt milk sugar and a little alphonso mango pulp. Blend and enjoy.

Attachments

• Mint_lassi.jpg
    Mint_lassi.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 176
I do like mint. Where do you purchase lassi, I have not seen it in my stores.

I think people largely make their own - it's only yoghurt, water and sugar/salt. You can easily buy Ayran in Turkish food stores, but that's salty.

I use yogurt as a supplement for mayonnaise depending on the recipe. I also like to use it over sour cream if it's a thicker Greek yogurt. At the very least in combination with these things. Helps add another layer to the taste & another level of nutrients.

I've never seen it in bottle form in stores either, mostly just trendy cafes. Like others have said, you could make it yourself like you would a smoothie. It's very simple, and you could use some mint extract instead of mint leaves if you don't have any.

I mix yoghurt with all sorts of cheese, with cinnamon, nuts etc. Bulgarian yoghurt is by far among my favorite foods, I eat it almost every day. Truly a delicious treat.

Back
Top Bottom