Gravy with chips (fries)

And I mean  brown gravy, because I've seen in pictures from America a dish called "biscuits and gravy", which to me look like neither.

And I mean  brown gravy, because I've seen in pictures from America a dish called "biscuits and gravy", which to me look like neither.
French fries and gravy here always means brown gravy, and usually with some stray bits of beef in there.

Trip Advisor

Chicken Fried Steak/Chicken down here uses white gravy, no sausage.

CD
Same here, and it used to be that way here for biscuits and gravy as well, but it seemed to change about 35 years ago. I still prefer it without sausage.

Just so our American friends know, may I issue a work of wisdom from the mother land:

If it has milk or cream in it, then it isn't a gravy, it's a sauce.

Thank you for your attention.

In the Italian-American communities of NYC, tomato sauce used on pasta is called "gravy," with "Sunday gravy" being something like a Bolognese sauce.

CD

Our main local pub would put on a Christmas dinner every year but one year the landlord was sick and we went to a bar owned by an American for Christmas dinner. We didn't know what to expect but never envisaged white sauce on the turkey!

A white gravy/sauce is not typical of a gravy used on a Turkey, here. I make mine with the pan drippings, flour and some chicken stock, so it is light in color, but no dairy. My mom uses a cornstarch slurry and pan drippings.

CD

In the UK its brown gravy with chips. I think the concept began in Chinese owned fish and chip shops back in the 70's.

I've also learned that:

Chips, cheese, and gravy is the (unofficial) national dish of the Manx people (Isle of Man) and every year on the last Monday of January, chips, cheese, and gravy are celebrated on National Chips, Cheese & Gravy Day.

Back
Top Bottom