Recipe Greek Pita Bread For Souvlaki

Diane Lane

Veteran
Local time
11:21 PM
I've been wanting to make pita bread for a while now. I found this video recipe that calls for all purpose flour, which is what I usually have on hand. The recipe and preparation sounds very easy, and I like that it doesn't call for any special equipment or ingredients, as well as being low cost.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA7cCGbF0gY&feature=share

This is a small recipe, it only makes 2 pitas, so be sure to keep that in mind when gathering your ingredients. I like that you can make them ahead and freeze, then pull out when you're ready to use them.

Oh man this looks so good. I'm going to attempt a wheat free version on the weekend.

I am a pita fan and yesterday one of my friends living abroad gave me some inspiration to keep at the bread and related flour products until it becomes easy for me. Sometime like Pita I am always happy to get from the grocery store. This recipe looks easy enough.

I have made this in the past and it has turned out great!
I love pita bread bought from the grocery store but fresh
pita bread is so good!

I have made this in the past and it has turned out great!
I love pita bread bought from the grocery store but fresh
pita bread is so good!

There was a restaurant back home that I would stop by on my walks, and pick up a big Greek salad and pita bread. They had the absolute best pita breads. They seemed to have cornmeal in/on them, so I will have to see if I can find a recipe like that, but I also love regular pita, and love freshly made bread of all kinds, as well as tortillas, which I always want to try making.

This looks great. I can only imagine how fresh the pita bread will taste when it is made fresh. It doesn't look that difficult to do and it also doesn't seem that hard to do. It's so inexpensive when you think about how much you pay for pita bread at the store. I'm going to try it soon. My husband loves breads of any type. Thanks for sharing.

This looks great. I can only imagine how fresh the pita bread will taste when it is made fresh. It doesn't look that difficult to do and it also doesn't seem that hard to do. It's so inexpensive when you think about how much you pay for pita bread at the store. I'm going to try it soon. My husband loves breads of any type. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, that's a good point, @purplepen88 regarding the cost. I've looked at a few different recipes, and liked this one the best, although I haven't made any of them, so I can't speak to the taste. One thing I like about making things myself, is that I can change up the ingredients as I need to, so I could add something else if I wanted, or keep the recipe simple, as it is.

you need to get the thickness exactly correct. Too thick before you bake and they will not cook through and form a pocket, too think and they also don't split properly and you have a flat bread instead. They tale practice so don't be surprised if you fail a couple of times first!

you need to get the thickness exactly correct. Too thick before you bake and they will not cook through and form a pocket, too think and they also don't split properly and you have a flat bread instead. They tale practice so don't be surprised if you fail a couple of times first!

I'd be o.k. with them as a flat bread instead of pockets, as long as they were cooked through. I've bought both varieties at the store, and am fine with just folding them over the ingredients and eating like that. We grew up splitting the pockets and broiling them up with some butter, so whenever I get around to making them, I'll probably be happy with the results, and just tickled that I finally made them.

Back
Top Bottom