Recipe Green Tomato Ketchup

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
8:37 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I've put this recipe together from a couple of recipes online.

Old Fashioned Green Tomato Chutney - Relish - The Cooking Collective
Try This Tangy Homemade Green Tomato Ketchup

You'll need to make your own spiced pickling vinegar. It's best left to mature for a few days minimum, so make it up in advance and keep the remainder in the fridge for another recipe.

20240305_143842.jpg

Ingredients for spiced pickling vinegar
250ml 8% white vinegar
7½g whole cloves
3½g chilli flakes
7½g whole black peppercorns
15g ginger fresh, peeled and grated

Method for spiced pickling vinega
  1. Put all the ingredients into a sealed jar and allow to mature for a minimum of 24 hrs. I let mine mature for a couple of weeks.
  2. Before use, you'll need to sieve the mixture to remove the solids. Retain after the liquid. It will keep for many months in a sealed jar in the fridge.
20240222_210151.jpg

Ingredients for Green Tomato Ketchup
500g green tomatoes, sliced
1 medium onion, sliced
¼ tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp dry mustard
½ tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
100ml spiced pickling vinegar
50g raw sugar
Salt, to taste

Method for Green Tomato Ketchup
  1. Add the sliced green tomatoes and sliced onions to a suitably sized pan with lid. Add the black pepper, mustard powder, Worcestershire sauce and the sliced pickling vinegar to the same pan and bring to the boil. Simmer with lid on over a very low heat for about 4 hours.
    20240304_140853.jpg
  2. Allow to cool before blending the mixture and then sieve to remove seeds and any solids. Rinse the pan out and return the mixture to the pan, adding the sugar and salt to taste.
    20240305_130439.jpg
  3. Return to the boil, and simmer without the lid until the mixture reaches the desired thickness.
  4. Pour into sterile jars, and seal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom