Grilled corn

Hemulen

Woof-woof
Local time
5:27 AM
Darn, I burnt the souffle. It's corn, then.

20200926_161256_resized.jpg

Last edited:
In the US, BBQ refers to meat that is slow smoked over hardwood or fruit wood or charcoal. It is usually reserved for tough cuts of meat like beef brisket, pork shoulder and butts, pork and beef ribs and mutton. It can also include whole hog, steer or goat. Turkey, chicken and other fowl. Everything else is called grilling. :whistling: :whistling:

I changed the BBQ topic to grilled corn. We did have grilled sausage, too - but they were already eaten when I took the picture. (The aim was to present the poor quality of grilled food during our harvest and autumn clean-up day at the countryside.)

I changed the BBQ topic to grilled corn. We did have grilled sausage, too - but they were already eaten when I took the picture. (The aim was to present the poor quality of grilled food during our harvest and autumn clean-up day at the countryside.)

In the UK anything cooked over coals, charcoal or wood or outdoors on gas is called barbecuing. This is a UK forum so us Brits would say BBQ. You can use whatever term is used in your home country. Grilling in the UK means to cook under an electric grill. That is known as broiling in the US.

From a UK Weber store:

BBQ is also a regional thing here, mostly in the south and Texas. Not sure Texas considers themselves as part of the south.
When I lived in Texas, it was pointed out on a daily basis to this dumb ol' Ohio boy that Texas is...a part of Texas first, last, and in-between. :laugh:

In the UK anything cooked over coals, charcoal or wood or outdoors on gas is called barbecuing. This is a UK forum so us Brits would say BBQ. You can use whatever term is used in your home country. Grilling in the UK means to cook under an electric grill. That is known as broiling in the US.

From a UK Weber store:

View attachment 47064
I didn't grow up with any kind of outdoor grilling/barbecuing culture at all. We simply didn't do it and didn't know anyone who did.

To me, anything cooked outside on a grilling apparatus of some sort is barbecue and the act of doing so is barbecuing, and the thing it's cooked on is a barbecue or a grill, and the event itself is a barbecue, so this would be a perfectly legitimate sentence:

"I went to John's for a barbecue and ate some great barbecue that he barbecued on the barbecue." :laugh:

Some people in the US are more sensitive to the BBQ vs Grilling thing than others. CraigC is correct, per US BBQ enthusiasts, but I don't get bothered by people calling grilling BBQ. The whole grilling in the US vs the UK thing is more of a problem, because if I say "Grill the meat" to someone in the UK, they will probably think I mean to broil it. So, I have to be specific in places like this forum as to what I mean.

CD

This corn was precooked (boiled in salt water) so it only took some color in the self-made barbecue stand (embers).

This corn-barbecue place (summer cabin with a self-made barbecue stand) comes with a traditional outhouse. Just dingle about it. The kitchen is small and the water (clean enough for cooking and rinsing veggies) comes straight from the lake. Our only boat is a rowing boat. We sold the motor boat in the 90's. We do have electricity but no water heater (we broke it once and didn't bother to buy a new one). The water kettle and a few plastic buckets work fine for doing the dishes. I guess there is mold, too: we call the place smelly cabin. The cabin was unoccupied from 1950's to 1980's so Jerry and his nosy friends (rodents) owned the place for decades. Nobody has asthma (yet). The pros are that the ceiling doesn't leak, my whole family is normally there, the nature is outstanding, the waters are fishy, there are no immediate neighbors (I can show off my belly fat) and a nice village shop, a direct sales veggie farm + berry winery and a renowned pizza joint (with a less elegant light blue decor from the 70's) are a short drive away - and it's less than an hour from the city we live in.

We're not eager in renovating our summer cabin as we're waiting for a generational change. I just watch Canadian makeovers and sigh. When my parents kick the bucket some time in the unforeseeable future, we move to the neighboring 1920's Jugend (Finnish Art Nouveau) villa with William Morris' wallpapers. We just count our blessings and listen if we still hear my parents snoring. No, seriously, we are blessed and happy. But for now, it's easier not to sleep in same quarters as my mom belongs to the "this remoulade dates a few weeks back - oh, does it really say 7/1996?" and "hey, has anyone seen the rubber band I stored last year?" -generation which someone just wrote about.

Normally we wrap corn in foil with butter, too. Our over-the-counter sausages were actually quite good: meaty and well seasoned with garlic. We've never made our own sausage. The only meat grinder we own is stuck (it belonged to my grandmother).

We often cook bream in the smoker (otherwise it tastes like mud) and barbecue potatoes in foil with onion, garlic, olive oil and spices. Smoked bream leftovers are usually put in a salad with potatoes, (mustard-dill-spirits vinegar-sugar-lemon-sour milk) dressing, russian pickles (cucumber) or fresh cucumber, apple and onion. When we BBQ, it's normally tenderloin medium rare with salt and pepper + grilled/charred potatoes and veggies. I hate the fuss with tomato sauce, dripping cheese, dirty grids and torn scraping brushes. That's why we usually use the electric oven with a lined base plate for juicier stuff like marinated beef and ribs.

In our other, fancier summer place (there are only five million people, 338 440 km² and 100 000 lakes in Finland) we have amenities and a 6 burner with side hobs. Just bragging. My in-laws spend their summer there.

Last edited:
Grill, BBQ, Low and Slow and Peka. Here they feed the corn to chickens or use it to color fermented cabbage. It is put in the peka with meat. I have never seen it on the grill, maybe because the Croats use very little butter in their diets. I prefer low and slow over the grill.
I learned Low and slow in America.

Most GOOD sweet corn does not even have to be cooked. I have eaten it right in the field. It was great

Now, I just get it warm enough to melt the butter, to which the black pepper sticks.

I found that nuking it works OK, but if you want some burn on it fine. The problem there is to heat the inside.

T

I'm not fond of grilled corn because most people overcook it and dry it out. We rarely get freshly picked corn, have to hit the farmer's stands at just the right time down here. Not a big window for decent corn since it gets hot so fast. I saw where 1 of the big name chefs had taken to brining his then grilling, then slathering with a compound butter, might give that a try, but I don't know if they are still picking corn here, as we are almost at end of our growing season except for South Florida native fruits and veges, which corn is certainly not. Strawberries are already over, have been for several weeks.

Back
Top Bottom