Gruyère News

I've never understood the whole paying to cook your own steak thing. :scratchhead:
Same here. I first saw that in Minnesota maybe 25 years ago, and people paid a premium to do it.

We’ve been to that winery three times, and I’ve gotten in an argument with the staff every single time. Their wine is excellent, but the people I’ve encountered working there over the years were jerks.

Living on the edge of the Mendips and therefore Cheddar it really p*ssed everyone off that it was denied PDO on such b*llsh*t grounds.
Many PDO's are for foods that have been around for donkeys years. Champagne has been being made for centuries and yet that was allowed. But I see no problem is saying it's 'Texan Cheddar' or the like, it's the dishonesty about the origin that's annoying.

Italy has 656 PDO's and applies to add more every year. They are PDO and PGI mad and seem to be granted them easily.

The UK struggles to get PDO's. We have only 25 PDO's and 38 PGI's recognised in Europe in total!
The usual excuse for rejection is the food item is too widely used so they say the name is just a process.

Champagne is not made anywhere other than the Champagne region of France. Elsewhere, it is labeled as sparkling wine or whatever regional name is used. Even in France, champagne can ONLY be labeled as such if it was produced in the Champagne region. The US finally accepted France's internationally trademarked Champage back in the early 2000s.

Sparkling wine made in the U.S. is labeled as such; though, due to a loophole in trademark laws, it can, in a very few cases, be labeled as champagne, but it must also be labeled as California or American Champagne, etc., not just Champagne.
Yes I understand the rules. California wineries break them all the time. Moet & Chandon has a winery there. The grapes must be suitable.

Living on the edge of the Mendips and therefore Cheddar it really p*ssed everyone off that it was denied PDO on such b*llsh*t grounds.
Many PDO's are for foods that have been around for donkeys years. Champagne has been being made for centuries and yet that was allowed. But I see no problem is saying it's 'Texan Cheddar' or the like, it's the dishonesty about the origin that's annoying.

Italy has 656 PDO's and applies to add more every year. They are PDO and PGI mad and seem to be granted them easily.

The UK struggles to get PDO's. We have only 25 PDO's and 38 PGI's recognised in Europe in total!
The usual excuse for rejection is the food item is too widely used so they say the name is just a process.

The name "Cheddar" may be too widespread to be saved by a PDO at this point. Here in the US, there is your basic supermarket cheddar, Wisconsin cheddar, Vermont cheddar, and a bunch of cheddar cheese blends. There are cheddar chips/crisps, a local restaurant here sells cheddar fries (chips), and there is even a chain of restaurants called Cheddars (same owner's as the pseudo-Italian Olive Garden chain).

I'm sure it is not just the US, either.

CD

The name "Cheddar" may be too widespread to be saved by a PDO at this point. Here in the US, there is your basic supermarket cheddar, Wisconsin cheddar, Vermont cheddar, and a bunch of cheddar cheese blends. There are cheddar chips/crisps, a local restaurant here sells cheddar fries (chips), and there is even a chain of restaurants called Cheddars (same owner's as the pseudo-Italian Olive Garden chain).

I'm sure it is not just the US, either.

CD
It's true Cheddar is the worlds most popular cheese but it's far more about the will to do it. PDO's were only invented in 1992!
Something being popular and old hasn't stopped other European countries registering all sorts.

It's about the quality of the produce. Wisconsin Cheddar, Vermont Cheddar are making it clear it's that geographical areas version and tbh everyone kind of expects America to do what suits America, it's the rest of Europe successfully claiming hundreds of PDO's and consistently turning down UK applications that leaves a bad taste.
Cheddar from Cheddar doesn't taste anything like majority of the weak rubbery rubbish that has Cheddar slapped on the label.

It's not a case of needing to save Cheddar's cheddar, it's more protecting the quality name of the product.

It's about the quality of the produce. Wisconsin Cheddar, Vermont Cheddar are making it clear it's that geographical areas version and tbh everyone kind of expects America to do what suits America, it's the rest of Europe successfully claiming hundreds of PDO's and consistently turning down UK applications that leaves a bad taste.
Cheddar from Cheddar doesn't taste anything like majority of the weak rubbery rubbish that has Cheddar slapped on the label.

Wisconsin actually brags about the quality of their cheeses, so calling it Wisconsin Cheddar is a marketing tool. Vermont cheddar has a different taste, so the term is also used to market a particular kind of cheese.

tbh everyone kind of expects America to do what suits America,

Yeah, we got that habit from the British. :rolleyes:

CD

Wisconsin actually brags about the quality of their cheeses, so calling it Wisconsin Cheddar is a marketing tool. Vermont cheddar has a different taste, so the term is also used to market a particular kind of cheese.

They should send some over here, might help change perceptions about America having awful cheese 😆

Yeah, we got that habit from the British. :rolleyes:

CD
and running with it very well indeed 😉

Vermont white sharp cheddar is spectacular.
Indeed it is. MrsT prefers and we’ll-aged NY sharp, with the hard crystals throughout.

During an interview with Jacques Pepin, he was asked what the biggest difference was with respect to the US food scene between when he arrived here in 1959 and today, and he didn’t hesitate to say it was the cheese.

He said that in 1959, except for basic supermarket American cheese, there really was no cheese here, and no cheese culture, but that today, Americans produce world class, award-winning cheeses, and they’re available at the corner market.

The Guggisberg Ziller (produced not far from you) took 2nd place overall at the 2022 World Cheese Championship. I mention that because that’s what I’m eating right now. :wink:

Indeed it is. MrsT prefers and we’ll-aged NY sharp, with the hard crystals throughout.

During an interview with Jacques Pepin, he was asked what the biggest difference was with respect to the US food scene between when he arrived here in 1959 and today, and he didn’t hesitate to say it was the cheese.

He said that in 1959, except for basic supermarket American cheese, there really was no cheese here, and no cheese culture, but that today, Americans produce world class, award-winning cheeses, and they’re available at the corner market.

The Guggisberg Ziller (produced not far from you) took 2nd place overall at the 2022 World Cheese Championship. I mention that because that’s what I’m eating right now. :wink:
I've been down to the Guggisberg's place several times but not tried the ziller.

Actually, there are European Bourbons already on the market. Most Kentucky Bourbons are labeled as Kentucky Bourbon or Kentucky Straight Bourbon. Calling a European Bourbon Kentucky Bourbon would be illegal because it would be deceptive.

CD
I suppose the French could complain that Bourbon is a word stolen from them.

Back
Top Bottom