Guinness goes vegan

That is awesome news for all the vegans and vegetarians! Now they can enjoy an awesome beer!

I

I just saw that on the news a few minutes ago. I was surprised to hear the brew had some animal bladder in it previously. Ha, maybe Guiness should brew a veggie and non veggie version of the beer! That would be funny. I like guiness but I rarely have it.

Its the swim-bladder of fish and is also known as isinglass. Its used to help clarify the beer. Only a trace remains in the finished product. Most beers will clear naturally if left for long enough, but the isinglass is used to speed things up. Its also used in wine production.

will the change effect the long standing quality
I would imagine not. Nor should it affect the flavour in any way.
Shame I will have most likely left the UK by the time it is in place
Indeed. May be you could ask the nice irish people of dublin to ship a cask or three to canberra!
So I have to find out if that brewery is also being updated or is already up to date and not stuck in the dark ages!
The new filtration system is being used in Dublin first. I would imagine the other breweries around the world will follow in due course - unlikely to be in oz next year.
One in Nigeria as well!
The black stuff is a big seller in nigeria. (Nigeria has the largest beer market in africa, after south africa, and it's growing, unlike europe and the americas).
Its also used in wine production.
100% correct. As is casein, another animal product, so again not suitable for vegetarians.

Caesin is a milk protein which is suitable for vegetarians. It is not suitable for vegans (or for that matter anyone allergic to dairy, though those intolerant to lactose (also found in milk) will be fine).
Thanks SNSSO, that is what I meant. I should learn difference between vegans and vegetarians. You are 100% correct and apologise if I mislead anyone in CB-land.

Back
Top Bottom