Halloween food & drink

Since I am not much of a sweet tooth, other than on rare occasions, I like making Halloween themed deviled eggs. Hey, they're already little devils, eh?

Put little faces on them, and cut some red pimentos into horn-shaped bits. Capers make great eyes. Dill goes good for hair and beards, and more pimentos can be cut for scary mouths. Give them the Pox by the colors of seasonings you sprinkle upon. Possibilities are ENDLESS.

We do not celebrate Halloween, never have. Some houses around here trim up and look really good 👍

Hello have you any ideas to decorate a cupcakes for Halloween party ?🎃 Without dairy :cry:

Back when I was decorating cakes and when I was taking a culinary class on cake decoration, a real class, not 1 of the Wilton courses, the frosting was made with solid vegetable shortening.

Recipe - Classic White Frosting using Crisco

TIPS: make sure you use new, unopened crisco or other vegetable shortening. It develops an off taste that you can taste in the frosting if it's stored for long.

Instead of the milk to thin, and be careful not to use too much, use almond milk or even water. I always used about half of the liquid to thin some unless I was piping lettering, cornelli lace or string work, then I used the full amount.

Make sure the cake is totally cool. This frosting holds up to heat better than real buttercream, but it still melts.

I always stored the finished cakes in the refrigerator so the frosting and chocolate hold their shape.

DECORATIONS

I don't know where the pics are but hopefully I can explain.

Use a grass/hair tip, color some frosting grass green and use the candy corn pumpkins to make a pumpkin patch.

Smooth frost with orange colored frosting and use candy corn to make a jack-o-lantern face.

Frost using really dark blue or black frosting and place a white chocolate ghost standing up on the cupcake. Melt white chocolate, spread on parchment paper with a small offset spatula to about 1/4" thick. Place in refrigerator for 10 to 15 minutes to harden up some, then use a cookie cutter or freehand a ghost shape. Place back in refrigerator to harden. If it gets too hard, let the chocolate set out for a few minutes.

Frost with white frosting, leaving a moon like surface. Use milk or semisweet chocolate (milk for kids, semisweet or dark for adults) and do as above using a witch on a broom cookie cutter. Stand her up on the cupcake.

Frost dark blue or black as above. Make crescent moon and star shapes as above, except you can spread out to about 1/8" thick. Lay 1 moon shape and 3 stars on each cupcake.

Obviously, remelt the scrap chocolate pieces to make more shapes.

They make a lot more "candy corn" shapes now than when I was decorating cakes so you might not even have to mess with melting chocolate.

You could also pipe spiders using different sized round tips and make chocolate bats as above.

Oh, I have no idea of candy corn ingredients so check them out before you use.

Last edited:
Back when I was decorating cakes and when I was taking a culinary class on cake decoration, a real class, not 1 of the Wilton courses, the frosting was made with solid vegetable shortening.

Recipe - Classic White Frosting using Crisco

TIPS: make sure you use new, unopened crisco or other vegetable shortening. It develops an off taste that you can taste in the frosting if it's stored for long.

Instead of the milk to thin, and be careful not to use too much, use almond milk or even water. I always used about half of the liquid to thin some unless I was piping lettering, cornelli lace or string work, then I used the full amount.

Make sure the cake is totally cool. This frosting holds up to heat better than real buttercream, but it still melts.

I always stored the finished cakes in the refrigerator so the frosting and chocolate hold their shape.

DECORATIONS

I don't know where the pics are but hopefully I can explain.

Use a grass/hair tip, color some frosting grass green and use the candy corn pumpkins to make a pumpkin patch.

Smooth frost with orange colored frosting and use candy corn to make a jack-o-lantern face.

Frost using really dark blue or black frosting and place a white chocolate ghost standing up on the cupcake. Melt white chocolate, spread on parchment paper with a small offset spatula to about 1/4" thick. Place in refrigerator for 10 to 15 minutes to harden up some, then use a cookie cutter or freehand a ghost shape. Place back in refrigerator to harden. If it gets too hard, let the chocolate set out for a few minutes.

Frost with white frosting, leaving a moon like surface. Use milk or semisweet chocolate (milk for kids, semisweet or dark for adults) and do as above using a witch on a broom cookie cutter. Stand her up on the cupcake.

Frost dark blue or black as above. Make crescent moon and star shapes as above, except you can spread out to about 1/8" thick. Lay 1 moon shape and 3 stars on each cupcake.

Obviously, remelt the scrap chocolate pieces to make more shapes.

They make a lot more "candy corn" shapes now than when I was decorating cakes so you might not even have to mess with melting chocolate.

You could also pipe spiders using different sized round tips and make chocolate bats as above.

Oh, I have no idea of candy corn ingredients so check them out before you use.

Thank u soooo much <3

Last edited by a moderator:
My sole contribution, and it was a bust; pumpkin old fashioned:

I made enough for two cocktails, so 4oz of booze along with the other stuff, didn’t get the shaker top on right, shook it, and it I exploded all over the kitchen. I was able to salvage what you see there, which is about an ounce (that’s a very small glass), and faced with having to wipe down the kitchen while simultaneously cooking pumpkin soup…I declined to start over, choosing instead to cuss furiously while cleaning up the mess.

MrsT said it was quite good, though.

Candystore.com named the worst Halloween candy of 2022. Hey Tasty, check out number 2. :laugh:

Screen Shot 2022-10-31 at 9.49.13 PM.jpg

CD

Candystore.com named the worst Halloween candy of 2022. Hey Tasty, check out number 2. :laugh:

View attachment 92011

CD
I love every one of those, especially circus peanuts, super-especially the banana-flavored circus peanuts!

Smarties are probably MrsT’s favorite, and at Christmas, she always gets a roll of the giant ones in her stocking.

Of those, my least favorite is probably the Nik-L-Nips (the wax bottles filled with sugar water), but I still like them.

Americans just hate licorice traditionally don't they?

You guys miss out 🤑
I don’t think that’s particularly true, we both love it, my MIL loved it, and when I used to buy it to keep on my desk (in little packets), there was no shortage of people stopping by to snag some.

I think it has that reputation because the people who don’t like it really, really don’t like it.

Also, just for fun, “licorice” isn’t limited to just black licorice, we have it in all sorts of flavors; some “normal,” like cherry or strawberry, and then some made up, like razzleberry. I haven’t done a poll, so it’s just my opinion, but I think if you say “licorice” around here, without specifying a flavor/color, the understanding would be that you mean red licorice, not black.

Americans, huh? :laugh:

I love every one of those, especially circus peanuts, super-especially the banana-flavored circus peanuts!

Smarties are probably MrsT’s favorite, and at Christmas, she always gets a roll of the giant ones in her stocking.

Of those, my least favorite is probably the Nik-L-Nips (the wax bottles filled with sugar water), but I still like them.

I don’t think that’s particularly true, we both love it, my MIL loved it, and when I used to buy it to keep on my desk (in little packets), there was no shortage of people stopping by to snag some.

I think it has that reputation because the people who don’t like it really, really don’t like it.

Also, just for fun, “licorice” isn’t limited to just black licorice, we have it in all sorts of flavors; some “normal,” like cherry or strawberry, and then some made up, like razzleberry. I haven’t done a poll, so it’s just my opinion, but I think if you say “licorice” around here, without specifying a flavor/color, the understanding would be that you mean red licorice, not black.

Americans, huh? :laugh:
I know not all Americans are the same ( duh), the smiley is meant to indicate I am not being serious.

Still not sure most non Dutch would like our standard licorice, as it's the salty kind thats most popular here. Licorice is our national favorite candy, just like Sweden 's.

And staying true to my roots, I am a die hard salted licorice fan. The saltier the better..

Back
Top Bottom