Recipe Ham And Cheese Bake

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
7:08 AM
ham_cheese_bake_big.jpg
A savory dish for almost any meal: breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner. This makes a great leftover ham recipe with something for everyone with its combination of ham, broccoli, cheese, and eggs.

Ingredients
8 ounces chopped ham
1 large onion, minced
4 ounces canned mushrooms, drained
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
2 cups shredded cheese of choice--cheddar, swiss, mozzerella, or pepperjack
16 ounces frozen broccoli
1 1/2 cups reduced fat baking mix
3 cups milk
6 eggs
2 ounces pimentos, chopped (optional)

You will Need
Container: 9 x 13 baking dish or a 2 quart casserole dish

Directions
  • Preheat oven to 350°F.
  • Place onions and mushroons in a skillet and sauté© on medium heat.
  • Coat baking dish with vegetable spray. Layer ham, onions, broccoli, pimentos, and cheese in the bottom of prepared baking dish. Combine eggs, milk, and baking mix until smooth. Pour over top of ham mixture.
  • Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until middle is set. The baking dish or casserole may need to be covered with foil for the last 15 minutes, if it is beginning to brown more than desired.
  • Serve warm or cold.

http://www.recipetips.com/recipe-cards/t--2596/ham-and-cheese-bake.asp

Oh that looks amazing and it is something my family will enjoy. I am bookmarking this recipe so I can make it. Looks like something I could make for breakfast or dinner!

Blimey! It makes pancakes, scones and Yorkshire puddings too. But you have to add your own eggs and milk - so...I may be missing the point here. As far as I know, pancakes and Yorkshire puds are made of flour, milk and eggs. So, it would be just as easy to make pancakes/Yorkshires with plain flour! This is basically flour with fat, sugar and raising agents added which are not needed for pancakes/Yorkshires. I reckon that you really don't need to add this to the recipe. 6 eggs and milk will set that bake splendidly. Its rather like a quiche filling from the picture. I might put this to the test - but I wouldn't use canned mushrooms (why?).

Anyway, Tesco's no longer stock this product!

@classic33, what is baking mix?

You pay so much attention to detail. I think it is wonderful. I would have missed the mix if you did not spot it. The end result looks so yummy, I was like this has to be a walk in the park recipe and something I can easily put together. Now I have to ask like you what is baking mix and then find a local substitute. I am guessing the mix is what holds things together? Still it looks absolutely great.

You pay so much attention to detail. I think it is wonderful. I would have missed the mix if you did not spot it. The end result looks so yummy, I was like this has to be a walk in the park recipe and something I can easily put together. Now I have to ask like you what is baking mix and then find a local substitute. I am guessing the mix is what holds things together? Still it looks absolutely great.
:roflmao: Ok! I am completely bonkers. I'm an obsessive cook and scrutinise recipes.:bookworm::bookworm::bookworm:

I look at recipes in detail because I'm interested in how they work and I may want to cook the recipe. I think you are quite right in this case. The 'mix' is meant to act as a binding agent. I reckon it would work without it just as well. Its a stodge factor which might not be necessary. But I might be wrong. The proof is in the pudding...

Would you believe? I went to the Supermarket and saw something called a baking mix and sure enough picked it up. Now I am here again it definitely isn't what Classic 33 posted but I saw baking mix and decided I would try one. Hopefully, it won't spoil before I find something to make with it.

Would you believe? I went to the Supermarket and saw something called a baking mix and sure enough picked it up. Now I am here again it definitely isn't what Classic 33 posted but I saw baking mix and decided I would try one. Hopefully, it won't spoil before I find something to make with it.
I posted one of the more popular UK varities, nowt else.

I have decided that I am going to make this for our Christmas Eve breakfast since the whole family will be at home that morning. It will make a good and hearty kickoff for the holiday festivities later in the day. I am so excited to make it.

Back
Top Bottom