15g butter
1,5kg shoulder of pork, cubed
2 red onions, sliced
10g fresh sage
3 garlic cloves, crushed
170ml cider
1,5 litres chicken stock
500ml cream
2 x 500g pack readymade potato gnocchi, cooked (Or homemade as I did, your choice)
Young spinach, to serve
Micro herbs, to serve

METHOD

Preheat the oven to 170°C.

In a 24cm Pot (I like cast iron like Le Creuset but anything works), sear off the mushrooms in 3 – 4 teaspoons of olive oil, seasoning to taste. Remove from the pan.

Sear the pork in butter until golden. Remove from the pan and set aside. Add the sliced onion, garlic, and sage and once softened, deglaze with cider. Once the alcohol has burnt off, add the stock and simmer for 10 minutes before adding the cubed pork and mushrooms back in.

Remove from the heat and place into the oven for 1 hour 30 minutes to 2 hours until the pork is tender. Add the gnocchi and cream to the casserole 30 minutes before it is ready to serve. Alternatively, cook the gnocchi separately by frying it in burnt butter, to serve along with young spinach and micro herbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks delicious! I must confess I've rarely made home-made gnocchi. I'm not really sure why as its not very difficult. But come to think of it I rarely cook with gnocchi. I really should put that right.

I note you use metric measurements. Much easier for me to follow though I've got used to American measures since I joined this forum. I even own a 'cup' measure.

Looks delicious! I must confess I've rarely made home-made gnocchi. I'm not really sure why as its not very difficult. But come to think of it I rarely cook with gnocchi. I really should put that right.

I note you use metric measurements. Much easier for me to follow though I've got used to American measures since I joined this forum. I even own a 'cup' measure.
Homemade Gnocchi aren’t too bad. It does help to have a Gnocchi board to get a decent shape and to impart those lovely sauce clinging ridges onto the dough. Otherwise a fork will do.

I’ll definitely use metric as much as possible on here. I never used it much until 10yrs ago when I transitioned into a Science based industry. Being that Science has a somewhat global language I got to know metric very well and IMO it’s the only way to go:wink:

Back
Top Bottom