Has anyone ever criticized your cooking?

My folks always complain my food is too spicy. However they don't eat anything even remotely hot, so even the mildest things will bother them. I love stuff like fresh jalapenos, or cayenne pepper in my food. I will often swap out the black pepper for red pepper instead, for some extra kick.

They also will not eat meat unless it is super well done, so forget about those medium rare ribeye steaks. They will complain that they are still raw.

My folks always complain my food is too spicy. However they don't eat anything even remotely hot, so even the mildest things will bother them. I love stuff like fresh jalapenos, or cayenne pepper in my food. I will often swap out the black pepper for red pepper instead, for some extra kick.

They also will not eat meat unless it is super well done, so forget about those medium rare ribeye steaks. They will complain that they are still raw.

My mama does not care for garlic. I love garlic and onions. When I cook for her I have to remember that I can't use too much garlic. My daddy is allergic to beef of any kind. I can no longer serve hamburger, steaks or any other sort of beef to him.

Actually the only one who criticizes my cooking is... myself. Whenever I cook for others I worry about what they'll think and if it's good enough... so I'll constantly tell them that I'm sorry it's not that great and they look at me like I'm crazy.

I've been lucky when it comes to this. When I try new a new recipe that doesn't turn out exactly like I thought it should, it's usually me feeling bad about it, and not anyone else in the family.

Actually, they've been very good about my experimenting and trying new recipes! :woot:

My boyfriend judges my cooking (but for good reasons). I'm not the best cook:P But I do try. His advice helps me and he always has lots of tips and tricks. Also he always cooks amazing food, I can't not listen to his criticism.

I'm the one always criticizing my cooking! Nothing I make is good enough for me! I'm always scared when I cook for other people and will go ahead and tell then it's not good before they even taste it. I know that is bad, I shouldn't talk badly about my food to others, but it makes me really insecure.

I remembered before when I was in my younger days and I am just starting to learn how to cook, my mother who is a good cook sometimes criticized what I cooked if it turned out to be salty, sweet and spicy. Then that criticism made me to do more better in my cooking and now that I am already had my own family my mother now appreciates my cooking and said that i had learned from my mistakes before and well that makes me feel accomplished now.

I had not been married for very long. My husband and I lived in a cute little apartment, as it was all we could afford at the time. We were very proud of our little home together. :) We invited my mother-in-law over for dinner. We thought it would be fun to have "company" over. I made a big tossed salad, spaghetti, garlic bread, and a chocolate cake for dessert.
My mother-in-law criticized every last thing I had made. I didn't make it the way she makes it. And she let me know with just about every bite. The dressing wans't the kind she usually likes. "This isn't how I make spaghetti." She was referring to the fact that I used whole wheat spaghetti noodles instead of regular. "This isn't the kind of icing I use" as she ate her cake. It was so annoying! She has always been critical of me, but this really bothered me. I was trying to do something nice by making you dinner.
If I invite you over for dinner, just eat it and enjoy it. If you don't like it, then when you leave my home, go through drive-thru somewhere. But don't sit there and criticize my food in my own home.
I can handle criticism, but not when it's about something like "I don't make it this way." That's fine, you make your food your way, I'll make mine my way. It doesn't mean the food isn't good. It's just different.

I had not been married for very long. My husband and I lived in a cute little apartment, as it was all we could afford at the time. We were very proud of our little home together. :) We invited my mother-in-law over for dinner. We thought it would be fun to have "company" over. I made a big tossed salad, spaghetti, garlic bread, and a chocolate cake for dessert.
My mother-in-law criticized every last thing I had made. I didn't make it the way she makes it. And she let me know with just about every bite. The dressing wans't the kind she usually likes. "This isn't how I make spaghetti." She was referring to the fact that I used whole wheat spaghetti noodles instead of regular. "This isn't the kind of icing I use" as she ate her cake. It was so annoying! She has always been critical of me, but this really bothered me. I was trying to do something nice by making you dinner.
If I invite you over for dinner, just eat it and enjoy it. If you don't like it, then when you leave my home, go through drive-thru somewhere. But don't sit there and criticize my food in my own home.
I can handle criticism, but not when it's about something like "I don't make it this way." That's fine, you make your food your way, I'll make mine my way. It doesn't mean the food isn't good. It's just different.

I guess she's not getting invited around anytime soon. I can see my in-laws being like this if I ever cook any food for them. The are both so snide and sly about making remarks about me. So I feel for you! I bet she was just jealous, just don't invite her back anytime soon and I'm sure she'll get the point.

I guess she's not getting invited around anytime soon. I can see my in-laws being like this if I ever cook any food for them. The are both so snide and sly about making remarks about me. So I feel for you! I bet she was just jealous, just don't invite her back anytime soon and I'm sure she'll get the point.
Thank you for the support! :) In-laws can be rather difficult! I totally understand about the sly remarks that you have received! I get them frequently...they are those hidden "jabs" that just really bother and annoy me. Like, "well, I wouldn't do it that way...but if that's how YOU do it...then I guess it's okay."
Oh well, they haven't been over for dinner since. :)

Good! It seems like we have been in unlucky in the in-law department then. I get jabs whenever I go visit them but I'm at the stage where I couldn't care less and I actually feel a bit sorry for them they still have such issues and act like that at their age. I've never met such horrible and weird people in all my life. I can't actually believe they raised my partner to be honest! I pretend I don't really cook when I go over to theirs because I know they would act exactly the same as yours do, questioning everything and judging. So I'm just like yeah, I don't really cook much.

Next time they come over I would be tempted to give them a bit of 'off' food to eat :P heehee, just joking obviously :wink:

Yes absolutely, my family and friends critize my cooking all the time, but it's good, that way I learn and try out different seasonings and cooking methods and at the end of the day I am a better cook for it.:wink:

My husband is my worst critic. Not because my cooking does not taste good. I am actually a fairly decent cook. But because I try very hard to cook healthy foods in a healthy way. My husband only enjoys very unhealthy foods. And frying is his favorite... yuck!

You cannot learn without making mistakes and people telling you were you went wrong. Cooking is not different in my opinion. I learned a from many different people, who ate what I made and suggested improvements to the meal, and those little secrets and tricks are really awesome most of the time.

Only one person comes to mind. I made a banana cream pie for one of my coworker's birthdays and she told me the crust wasn't fully baked... I was pretty mortified lol.

Back
Top Bottom