Has anyone ever smoked lamb?

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
3:15 PM
I'm thinking of smoking this leg of lamb I've had in the freezer for awhile (or having hubby do it) sometime soon. Any thoughts or input on seasoning, etc.?

Last edited:
I smoked a neck of lamb some years back. Unfortunately I can't really remember the seasoning. Only that it was real nice and tender as I got called away and forgot about it for hours. Smoker (WSM) did it's job :)

I smoked a neck of lamb some years back. Unfortunately I can't really remember the seasoning. Only that it was real nice and tender as I got called away and forgot about it for hours. Smoker (WSM) did it's job :)
I've read about lamb neck but I've never seen it in the stores. Sounds yummy!

I've got the leg of lamb already though. I'm not sure what kind of wood I
should use. I like mesquite and hickory for beef, that might work?
Yes
My go to is rosemary, garlic and mustard (with a dash of chili pepper)
But for smoking it? I don't want the seasonings to fall off...rosemary likely wouldn't adhere I'm thinking. But hubby doesn't like rosemary and I like it ok but not enough to insist on it.

Did you do leg of lamb?

Yes. That is pretty much the only cut of lamb I can get that will work on the rotisserie. It was a long time ago, so I don't recall what seasonings or smoke wood I used. I'm guessing rosemary was one of the seasonings, as I like it with lamb. The wood could have been hickory, pecan or apple. I never use mesquite (even though it grows wild in North Texas).

CD

I would actually be tempted to only very lightly season it and make a sauce or paste to use to your liking afterwards.
Let the smoke shine through.
I used mopani, which can be quite strong.
I use very little of it as I get local mopani charcoal, that quite often still has real woody bits in it.

I liked the lamb neck.
My neighbour at that time had lamb & sheep, and I got a whole sheep (slaughtered) and cut it up.

I would actually be tempted to only very lightly season it and make a sauce or paste to use to your liking afterwards.
Let the smoke shine through.
I used mopani, which can be quite strong.
I use very little of it as I get local mopani charcoal, that quite often still has real woody bits in it.

I liked the lamb neck.
My neighbour at that time had lamb & sheep, and I got a whole sheep (slaughtered) and cut it up.

Mopani is a distant relative of mesquite. It looks similar, and grows in similar climates. It also has a very strong smoke flavor.

CD

Back
Top Bottom