Haslet

When it had virtually cooled I turned the whole thing over and it was a bit pale on the underside (although quite solid). I put it back in the halogen to brown the underside which means I will have to await it cooling down again before I can cut it.

Maybe I'll wait until morning.

It better be good considering the amount of work I've put into it!

Sounds as if it will be OK. It will probably improve by being kept overnight.

Would Merican meatloaf be similar?
Similar in that they're both loaves of meat, but that's about it. :)

Typical meatloaf here is a mix of ground beef, ground pork, and ground veal (sometimes), and traditionally flavored with a lot of diced onion and green pepper, shaped into a loaf, baked a while, topped with ketchup, then baked a bit more. No food processor involved, just mixing with the hands, like meatballs.

Eaten warm with mashed potatoes and some other veg on the side, but absolutely worshipped the next day served room-temp (or cold) as a meatloaf sandwich.

Of course, there are as many variations as there are people, but that's the most typical one I grew up with. Some like to put bacon strips over the top, or change up the peppers, sneak in some other veg, or use chili sauce (or barbecue sauce) on the top, some like to make it in a smoker instead of an oven, or shape them into patties, or make mini ones in muffin tins.

I wouldn't eat a damn thing from a butcher named "Mr. Brain!" :laugh:

Please tell me that is something that hasn't been sold since the sixties.

CD
I think The Velvet Curtain just had some this month.

Typical meatloaf here is a mix of ground beef, ground pork, and ground veal (sometimes), and traditionally flavored with a lot of diced onion and green pepper, shaped into a loaf, baked a while, topped with ketchup, then baked a bit more. No food processor involved, just mixing with the hands, like meatballs.

Eaten warm with mashed potatoes and some other veg on the side, but absolutely worshipped the next day served room-temp (or cold) as a meatloaf sandwich.

Of course, there are as many variations as there are people, but that's the most typical one I grew up with. Some like to put bacon strips over the top, or change up the peppers, sneak in some other veg, or use chili sauce (or barbecue sauce) on the top, some like to make it in a smoker instead of an oven, or shape them into patties, or make mini ones in muffin tins.

We call those Fatties!
Making A Fatty

A decent faggot is a thing of beauty. The frozen Mr Brain's ones are pretty bad and I wouldn't touch them, but freshly made by your butcher they are a real delicacy.

We have lunch meat available at some of the better delis that looks a lot like that sliced haslet. Sold as "pork loaf."

I sliced it this morning. It looks acceptable but it's a little "wet". Except for that it tastes good. I'll put some in a sandwich later.

I left those slices in the fridge earlier and they've "dried out" to some extent. It's getting better all the time (to quote The Beatles).

Back
Top Bottom