Have you ever frozen these foods?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
5:24 PM
Freezing leftovers can be a great way to keep food from going off and reduce waste. The freezer acts as a pause button, keeping food from going off for weeks and even months. But there are some foods that should never be frozen - and they could even be dangerous for your health if you do. Have you ever frozen these foods? Potatoes, whole eggs, breadcrumbs and watermelon are on this list.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/f...ods-NEVER-freezer-revealed.html#ixzz4VMYG8Rlx

I always make breadcrumbs and freeze them when I have too much stale bread - can't say I've ever noticed an "unpleasant texture"! They seem perfectly fine to me. :unsure:
Of the other things on the list I freeze cooked potatoes and egg whites and I have frozen milk before.
Hot food: no of course not. Cucumbers: I'd never freeze anything with a high water content - logic says that its just going to go mushy. Thawed food: I have occasionally re-frozen food (but not meat). Tinned food: I'm not sure why anyone would want to freeze tinned food? (but my mother in law keeps unopened tins in the fridge for some unknown reason). Badly packaged foods: yes occasionally, but by mistake rather than intentionally :laugh:. Watermelon: same answer as cucumber :p:

Edited to add: some of the reader comments at the bottom of the article are hilarious!:roflmao:

I always make breadcrumbs and freeze them when I have too much stale bread - can't say I've ever noticed an "unpleasant texture"! They seem perfectly fine to me. :unsure:
Of the other things on the list I freeze cooked potatoes and egg whites and I have frozen milk before.
Hot food: no of course not. Cucumbers: I'd never freeze anything with a high water content - logic says that its just going to go mushy. Thawed food: I have occasionally re-frozen food (but not meat). Tinned food: I'm not sure why anyone would want to freeze tinned food? (but my mother in law keeps unopened tins in the fridge for some unknown reason). Badly packaged foods: yes occasionally, but by mistake rather than intentionally :laugh:. Watermelon: same answer as cucumber :p:

Edited to add: some of the reader comments at the bottom of the article are hilarious!:roflmao:

You are right, the comments are very funny. And I tend to agree with them. I mean, as you say, who would put tins of food in the freezer?

Cooked potatoes or partially cooked potatoes, breadcrumbs (some food sites recommend freezing left over bread or breadcrumbs), also onions, celery, peppers, cooked meatloaf, tomatoes, cilantro, oh and the occasional tinned food after it has been prepared if there is enough to justify.
Also all kinds of leftover soups and beans.
Also 90% of the meats we buy are put in the freezer as soon as we bring them home.
Caveat being: we don't shop like most people. We buy on sale when we can.

I've often froze egg whites. When I have enough, I just use them to make an angel cake. :wink:

Bread crumbs. In the week leading up to Christmas I get a plain loaf of white bread that I wouldn't normally buy, leave it out for a few days to dry out, and then make it into bread crumbs and freeze in 4oz packs. I then use it to make stuffing and bread sauce. I still have some left which I will use up over the next few weeks. I have never noticed a difference between them and freshly made bread crumbs when using in cooking. Maybe if I wanted toasted bread crumbs that might be an issue.

Bread crumbs. In the week leading up to Christmas I get a plain loaf of white bread that I wouldn't normally buy, leave it out for a few days to dry out, and then make it into bread crumbs and freeze in 4oz packs. I then use it to make stuffing and bread sauce. I still have some left which I will use up over the next few weeks. I have never noticed a difference between them and freshly made bread crumbs when using in cooking. Maybe if I wanted toasted bread crumbs that might be an issue.
I agree. I've no idea why you shouldn't freeze them. Bread freezes well too.

We have a very small freezer section in the fridge so no room for much. I didn't know about eggs though.

Have you ever frozen these foods? Potatoes, whole eggs, breadcrumbs and watermelon are on this list.

I've never frozen any of the foods mentioned. The Daily Mail website is banned here so I cannot read what else is on the list.

I have been told that prawns should not be re-frozen. We buy ours from a shop where they are kept "on ice" so I don't know whether that is considered frozen. We have frozen these after peeling and they have caused no problems up to now.

The Daily Mail website is banned here so I cannot read what else is on the list.
Don't worry - you haven't missed anything worth reading.
What absolute rubbish - must have been a slow news day. Don't freeze hot food, it might go bad - yes that's because it's still hot
Dairy - we always keep a pint of milk in the freezer in case of emergencies. we swap it over every couple of months and yes it is a bit odd looking but fine for cooking coffee tea etc.
Do not re-freeze [as unlike with your prawns which I suspect are just 'chilled'] this applies to food that has been hard frozen then allowed to thaw - gives the bacteria time to develop
Watery vegetables - well they don't go bad just turn to mush so even if you do try it it isn't a big deal [although it might be a disappointment]
As for eggs and tins ie sealed containers - in a freezer :eek:
This is all just very basic food hygiene - what next, an article telling us all not to sprinkle arsenic on our food instead of salt ?:scratchhead:

I've never frozen any of the foods mentioned. The Daily Mail website is banned here so I cannot read what else is on the list.

I have been told that prawns should not be re-frozen. We buy ours from a shop where they are kept "on ice" so I don't know whether that is considered frozen. We have frozen these after peeling and they have caused no problems up to now.
Ah - sorry about the website access. Its tricky doing food in the news when news websites are banned elsewhere. Here is the 'list':

1. POTATOES
From potatoes and breadcrumbs to any type of hot food, these are the foods you should never put in your freezer, according to Playbuzz. Raw potatoes can turn black in the freezer, according to Playbuzz, so it's to keep them in a cool dark place instead. This is due to their high water content. However if you cook or puree the potatoes first, you will then be able to freeze them without affecting their quality.

2. WHOLE EGGS
When you freeze an egg, the yolk and white inside will expand, causing the shell to crack, says BBC Good Food. But if you separate the whites before, you should be able to freeze them for future baking activities.

3. BREADCRUMBS
Breadcrumbs tend to turn soft and develop an unpleasant texture in the freezer, says Playbuzz. Many recipes require breadcrumbs but it can be hard to tell how many you need before you begin. If you end up with too many, it's tempting to save them for the next time you need them by putting them in the freezer. But breadcrumbs tend to turn soft and develop an unpleasant texture in the freezer, says Playbuzz, so it's best to make them fresh every time. The same applies for a dish with breadcrumbs on top - defrost the meal but re-make the breadcrumbs for the topping.

4. SOME DAIRY PRODUCTS
Whipped cream, milk in its container, high-fat cream and fatty cheese all freeze beautifully.
But be wary of freezing other dairy products as the cold temperature can make them go watery over time.
Soft cheeses and creamy sauces such as salad dressing and mayonnaise in particular are foods never to put in the freezer.

5. ANY HOT FOOD
It's essential you wait until the food has cooled down completely before you go, says BBC Good Food. It's all too tempting to just bung your hot leftovers straight into the freezer once you've finished your meal. But it's essential you wait until the food has cooled down completely before you go, says BBC Good Food. Putting hot food into the freezer will lower the temperature of the freezer - causing other foods to partially defrost and bacteria to grow and spread.

6. CUCUMBERS
Cucumbers have a high water content, which means they will lose texture and flavour once defrosted after freezing, according to Playbuzz. Cucumbers have a high water content, which means they will lose texture and flavour once defrosted after freezing, according to Playbuzz. The same applies to any high water-based vegetable, including spring greens, salad leaves and radishes.

7. THAWED FOOD
Re-freezing thawed food could make you seriously ill as bacteria can multiply quickly when food is brought back to room temperature. If you put it back in the freezer, the bacteria will survive and will reach 'harmful levels,' according to BBC Good Food. However if you cook the ingredient after thawing it, you can then re-freeze the meal afterwards as the bacteria would have been killed in the cooking process.

8. TINNED FOOD
Cans can explode or rupture in the freezer, according to Playbuzz. When the liquid inside the can freezes, it can expand. This means the can itself can rupture or even explode, according to Playbuzz.

9. BADLY PACKAGED FOODS
If you haven't put your food in an airtight container or sealed it properly, it may develop freezer burn. It will be safe to eat, but the quality and appearance will be affected - and it certainly won't look appetising.

10. WATERMELON
Any fruit with a high water content such as watermelon will go mushy and soft if you put them in the freezer. For the same reason that you can't freeze cucumbers well, you also can't freeze watermelon or any other fruit with a high water content. Freezing these fruit will make the flesh go mushy and soften considerably, affecting the quality and the taste.

"5. ANY HOT FOOD
It's essential you wait until the food has cooled down completely before you go, says BBC Good Food. It's all too tempting to just bung your hot leftovers straight into the freezer once you've finished your meal. But it's essential you wait until the food has cooled down completely before you go, says BBC Good Food. Putting hot food into the freezer will lower the temperature of the freezer - causing other foods to partially defrost and bacteria to grow and spread."

I never freeze cooked food until it's cooled. However, perhaps BBC Good Food should read this:

Frost free freezers

"The defrost mechanism in a refrigerator heats the cooling element (evaporator coil) for a short period of time and melts the frost that has formed on it. The resulting water drains through a duct at the back of the unit. Defrosting is controlled by an electric or electronic timer: For every 6, 8, 10, 12 or 24 hours of compressor operation it turns on a defrost heater for 15 minutes to half an hour."

On the hot foods, it does cause the freezer to work a bit harder. Also why you really shouldn't put over 20 pounds/10 kilograms of even cold food to freeze at once.

Also on the hot food whatever you put it on top of might start to thaw.

Ok so one can freeze eggs, just not in the shell. That makes complete sense.

Frozen cream cheese gets a weird texture but it is still good for baking.

Should I just dig out a freezing foods cookbook? I have a half a dozen from the manufacturers.

Back
Top Bottom