Have you tried making home made cheese sauce?

Fiorabelle

Veteran
Local time
10:52 AM
One of my favorite comfort foods, is cheese sauce poured over wedges. If you've experimented with creating home made cheese sauce are their any special ingredients that you recommend?

I highly recommend adding peppercorn! :)

I am sure I have made homemade cheese sauce at some points. That reminds me of a cabbage recipe I want to try though with cheese sauce on the top. They actually used a jar of cheese whiz for the sauce. Not too pure I know cooking wise, but I think it would be affordable, a short cut, and a top option when it comes to preparing a meal requiring a cheese sauce.

I have never made cheese sauce. I have used cheese whiz whenever cheese sauce was called for.
It was fast and easy and it tasted alright!

Yes. I make it a lot. Maybe even once a week. I use the classic method where you make a roux of butter and flour and then add the milk slowly, beating or whisking so that it doesn't form lumps. Then add any cheese you like. Instead of grating the cheese I simply cut it up into small pieces, It melts in just the same! But there is a simpler 'all in one recipe' which I saved to try. I've not tried it yet, though.http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/anykindofcheesesauce_70007

Yes. I make it a lot. Maybe even once a week. I use the classic method where you make a roux of butter and flour and then add the milk slowly, beating or whisking so that it doesn't form lumps. Then add any cheese you like. Instead of grating the cheese I simply cut it up into small pieces, It melts in just the same! But there is a simpler 'all in one recipe' which I saved to try. I've not tried it yet, though.http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/anykindofcheesesauce_70007
Just the same but we do grate the cheese - it seems to melt faster and more evenly.

Just the same but we do grate the cheese - it seems to melt faster and more evenly.
It probably does melt faster - but it saves on either hand labour with a cheese grater or washing up the food processor. I don't think it makes any difference to evenness, though. Just takes a tad longer. I sometimes do the whole thing in the microwave.

I love cheese sauce and it is something I make fairly regularly. I have experimented using lots of different types of cheese over the years, but cheddar is still my favourite. Adding a teaspoon of English mustard adds a nice flavor and a bit of color. I always add freshly grated black pepper even though I know many people prefer white to avoid the speckled effect.

I make a simple cheese sauce fairly regularly to top our veggies. I start with a roux and then add in my shredded cheese, which is whatever we have on hand, usually cheddar or marble. I'm totally with you on the peppercorns, freshly ground pepper is really nice in cheese sauce. I've been using pink peppercorns lately and I'm really liking the flavour it gives along with regular black pepper.

Adding a teaspoon of English mustard adds a nice flavor and a bit of color.

I'm definitely going to try this next time I make a cheese sauce :)

We use to make cheese sauce until we realized that I can't handle milk in any regard. I loved to put in bacon bits with mine which worked out great when I put it on some french fries. Now, I am eating a little bit healthier but still love cheese fries every now and then.

We use to make cheese sauce until we realized that I can't handle milk in any regard. I loved to put in bacon bits with mine which worked out great when I put it on some french fries. Now, I am eating a little bit healthier but still love cheese fries every now and then.
If you are lactose intolerant you can make a very good cheese sauce with unsweetened almond milk.

Yes, and I've wasted a lot of cheese and other ingredients in the process, lol. Initially I never realized that otherwise good quality aged cheeses happen to not melt very well. I always saw cooks on television make a basic bechamel sauce, then simply melt the cheese into it, then viola they had a cheese sauce for their mac and cheese. Every time I would try this, the sauce not only tasted really bland and flavorless, but the cheese itself would separate and result in a grainy and greasy sauce which was not appetizing at all.

There are a number of recommendations as to how to get around this, but the best one in my opinion is to simply include a few slices of plain old processed American cheese in with your other cheeses (assuming you're making a cheddar based sauce). There is something about the way the American cheese is processed that causes the other cheeses to emulsify much better into the bechamel sauce and not become grainy. This is also why many people use Velveeta, either on it's own, or add some to their "from scratch" cheese sauces. Some folks are using sodium citrate, not to be confused with citric acid, but it's hard to find in stores and you usually have to order it online. It works remarkably well too, but it can impart a salty metallic taste if you use too much.

Another tip would be to not heat the bechamel too much when adding the cheese - if the sauce gets too hot while the cheese is melting into it, the proteins in the cheese will seize up and leave you with a grainy sauce. I usually bring the bechamel to a bubble then take it off the heat and then stir in the cheese gently until it's incorporated. Try not to over mix as well, the cheese will melt on it's own.

Silly me!!!!:oops:
It was a nice idea and I guess depends on how badly intolerant the OP is to lactose. There also probably isn't anywhere near as much lactose in the cheese either because I am pretty certain it is mostly contained in the whey do it may well be cheese dependent, but I've never looked into it tbh.

Homemade cheese sauce is the best and I like to make it so that I am not eating all of the processed things in store bought cheese sauce. I make a roux as well and then add cheddar or guyeire cheese to it. Then you can add milk and salt to taste.

Back
Top Bottom