Have you tried making home made cheese sauce?

It's rare that I have cheese sauce, but I am not averse to a macaroni cheese or cauliflower cheese now and then. I always make my own sauce - nothing fancy, just flour, milk and grated cheddar. A little grated blue cheese is nice for a topping on macaroni cheese and I am very partial to leeks with that particular dish.

cheese sauce or mornay sauce is one of the first sauces that are made in a culinary environment it shows understanding of cooking a roux and then adding a liquid to a roux
you can change cheese types and cheese sauce is the base of my twice baked soufflés

I also make a rue with flour and butter when making a cheese sauce at home. I prefer to use a mix of cheddar and American cheese either grated or cut into small cubes. I have used Velveeta on occasion. My family loves cheese sauce over their brocolli, baked potatoes or nachos. If making nachos, I like to add some pepper jack cheese to the mix for the spice.

I make my base bechamel sauce but I don't use a roux. I done it with a roux but always had to strain it. Now I get milk in the pan and warm it up. I take a small bowl, add white flour and milk and whisk it to a smooth runny paste. I add the paste to the milk until I get the desired thickness. I add salt, pepper and a touch of nutmeg. Simmer the sauce for about 5 minutes but don't forget to stir occasionally. For the cheese sauce, I take a tasty cheddar or Gruyere cheese grated and I add it to the bechamel sauce. Don't boil it, just simmer and stir gently until the cheese is melted in. You can also use Parmesan cheese for extra flavour.

Back
Top Bottom