Healthy pizza dough

nataliar

Local time
3:23 PM
Hi, I have a question. Can I do pizza dough from rice flour? I like pizza, so I would like it in new, healthy version. I would like to have the texture of a slice is soft, delicate and fine. Can I achieve this result with this kind of flour?

Hi @nataliar, welcome to CookingBites. Please take a moment to introduce yourself and your interests in cooking over in New Member Introductions. In answer to your question, it is possible but the result won't be the same. A google search will yield lots of recipes - I've not tried them. There is one here, for example:
https://foodfornet.com/rice-flour-pizza-dough-recipe/

@Herbie may have some advice as I know she cooks lots of gluten free recipes.

But, unless you are intolerant of gluten there is no reason at all to suppose rice flour is any healthier than wheat flour so I'm curious as to why you think it is.

You could always do a cauliflower crust. I understand somebody developed a technique where it's more like a real pizza crust than it was when cauliflower crusts first came about. Unfortunately, I don't remember where I heard or read about it, sorry.

You could always do a cauliflower crust. I understand somebody developed a technique where it's more like a real pizza crust than it was when cauliflower crusts first came about. Unfortunately, I don't remember where I heard or read about it, sorry.

Cauliflower crust was all the rage with health fanatics a few years back - now who was it mentioned that recently and said they loathed it? Was it @Frizz1974?

Pizza + Healthy = Oxymoron :meh:

Any non-wheat breads typically need a lot of other "fillers/binders" ie:xanthan gum & other tasteless caa-caa
Tried it for a relative who "thought" she was celiac..she didn't like/eat the gluten free, but utterly porked down on the real stuff!

Caputo 00 - best flour! (or any other 00)
Do it right, or don't do it at all :chef:

@Herbie may have some advice as I know she cooks lots of gluten free recipes.

I do! I usually use a ready made gluten free strong flour mix. The ingredients for the one I use is: rice flour, tapioca starch, potato starch and Xanthan Gum. (Self-raising and plain flour do not contain the xanthan gum.)

As @morning glory says, it is not healthier unless you are coeliac or have an allergy. Is this your case? I can advise on gluten free, but it certainly isn't healthier, especially if you use ready-made products such as bread and cakes which are full of additives and loads of sugar.

I have made pizzas before with cauliflower, polenta and chickpea flour and all three were nice, but just not pizza. I understand you can use quinoa too but not tried it.

I made a light pizza (https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/pizza-with-broad-beans-and-courgettes.10559/), which uses yoghurt to make the dough, but it still uses ordinary flour. It does taste rather nice but I find the base can be a bit awkward to shape. The base is more like a thick flat bread than a traditional pizza base. When I make a normal pizza, I usually use a mix of white and wholemeal flour - all wholemeal doesn't always rise very well.

Cauliflower crust was all the rage with health fanatics a few years back - now who was it mentioned that recently and said they loathed it? Was it @Frizz1974?
No I never got around to trying it.

We did try cauliflower rice once. I don’t think I cooked it exactly right as I didn’t have a large non stick pan & used my cast iron pan. Too hot I think. Any rate we hated it.

No I never got around to trying it.

We did try cauliflower rice once. I don’t think I cooked it exactly right as I didn’t have a large non stick pan & used my cast iron pan. Too hot I think. Any rate we hated it.
Maybe it was that I was thinking of. At any rate, anyone who thinks that cauliflower is a serious substitute for rice or pizza bases is kidding themselves!

Back
Top Bottom