Help me please

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
12:41 PM
I hope that MypinchofItaly will reply. I also hope that some of you have an Italian heritage.
G is dead set on making Italian Sausage in the next day or two. I am OK with that but I want it to be superb, old country Italian Sausage. G has called all of his sausage making Buds for recipes. A few make their own seasoning mix, most use processed mixes.
G's buds with their own recipes have last names like Boudreaux, Fontenot, Broussard. No Italian heritage. Their recipes are Cajun seasoning with a little Anise tossed in. The same is true for the processed mixes.
Step Son's friend, Sam, has given us Italian sausage that his Dad makes. The BEST Italian sausage I have ever eaten. Sam's Great Grandparents came to the U.S. near the turn of the 20th century. The recipe has been handed down from generation to generation only on the death of the previous generation. I have begged Sam for the recipe. He swears he does not have it. He will receive the recipe as part of his inheritance when his father dies.
That is the kind of recipe I am looking for. Old World, authentic, not altered to suit U.S. taste.
We will have record breaking low temperatures and ice storms over the next few days. G is already bored and antsy. A Sausage making project would be a good thing.
SO please help. I do not want to spend the time and effort youon mediocre sausage.
Thank you all.

I hope that MypinchofItaly will reply. I also hope that some of you have an Italian heritage.
G is dead set on making Italian Sausage in the next day or two. I am OK with that but I want it to be superb, old country Italian Sausage. G has called all of his sausage making Buds for recipes. A few make their own seasoning mix, most use processed mixes.
G's buds with their own recipes have last names like Boudreaux, Fontenot, Broussard. No Italian heritage. Their recipes are Cajun seasoning with a little Anise tossed in. The same is true for the processed mixes.
Step Son's friend, Sam, has given us Italian sausage that his Dad makes. The BEST Italian sausage I have ever eaten. Sam's Great Grandparents came to the U.S. near the turn of the 20th century. The recipe has been handed down from generation to generation only on the death of the previous generation. I have begged Sam for the recipe. He swears he does not have it. He will receive the recipe as part of his inheritance when his father dies.
That is the kind of recipe I am looking for. Old World, authentic, not altered to suit U.S. taste.
We will have record breaking low temperatures and ice storms over the next few days. G is already bored and antsy. A Sausage making project would be a good thing.
SO please help. I do not want to spend the time and effort youon mediocre sausage.
Thank you all.

I don't know about genuine Italian sausages but I will ring my friend who's a retired butcher. But from memory being in his shop they add a lot of powdered stuff to the meat, sulphites?? Etc.
thinking on it would it contain oregano and basil??
There's actually a butcher supply shop I used to deliver pallets of stuff to on Wordsworth st in Sydenham here in Chch.
I'll come back to you because now I'm interested as well.

Russ

Thank you all.

Good result, my friend called around for his frozen meals, and I asked him what goes in his Italian sausages. He said you need good quality meat, beef and fatty back pork meat. He only adds one pack of spices already premixed. Hr buys his from the place I mentioned above but gave me their name, dunninghams, you might look to see their website for more info?
Hope this helps??

Russ

I got out my copy of Michael Ruhlman's book, Charcuterie, and he has recipes for both hot and sweet Italian Sausages in the book. His research is good, so they should be good recipes.

I can't post the recipes on the forum, being from a copyrighted book, but I can let you "borrow" those pages, "neighbor." Send me a PM.

CD

It is the seasoning mix that I am looking for. I have casings and plan to make two batches, one pure pork and one pork and venison. Cd a PM is on the way. Thank you.

I know how to make sausage. We have a commercial grade grinder and stuffer. We also have a smoker. We make fresh and smoked venison/pork sausage, pork sausage, ground meat, breakfast sausage. The details of making sausage are not the problem. I am looking for that perfect, old world, Italian Sausage seasoning mix.

I know how to make sausage. We have a commercial grade grinder and stuffer. We also have a smoker. We make fresh and smoked venison/pork sausage, pork sausage, ground meat, breakfast sausage. The details of making sausage are not the problem. I am looking for that perfect, old world, Italian Sausage seasoning mix.

As usual with Italian food, it looks like there is an Italian version, and an Italian/American version. What we buy in the grocery store is basically pork scraps with fennel, anise, and whatever else Johnsonville puts in it.

I sent the recipes from the book. The forward for the book was written by Thomas Keller. I trust Ruhlman's recipes. Your mileage may vary. Good luck.

CD

Thank you all.

I have never made sausage on my own but I eat them regularly - and I’ve defrosted a couple of them for lunch today! :hungry:
What I can say though is that depending on the region, they are made in general with wine (red), garlic, black pepper. About other seasonings, the most famous is the Tuscan sausage made with fennel seeds. However, there is another version of Tuscan sausage where they also add cloves and a pinch of cinnamon.
Parmesan and a bit of Marsala in the Luganega sausage (a kind of sausage very used here in Lombardy and Veneto too)
Just give me time to recollect more ideas, I’ve just woken up and I’m waiting for coffee. After it, my mind will set up better 😄

I PM'd ElizabethB and caseydog . I thought we had made the Italian sausage from Charcuterie and it turns out we had as I had made note in the cookbook of some additions to tweak it for our taste. We don't normally make Italian sausage as we can get a pretty good product locally, so we save our sausage making ventures for sausage types we can't.

The thing to remember when making a certain type of sausage for the first time is mix it up, then cook a small amount and taste. Tweak to fit your taste from there, just make sure you keep notes of what and how much you add.

Last edited:
I PM'd ElizabethB and caseydog . I thought we had made the Italian sausage from Charcuterie and it turns out we had as I had made note in the cookbook of some additions to tweak it for our taste. We don't normally make Italian sausage as we can get a pretty good product locally, so we save our sausage making ventures for sausage types we can't.

The thing to remember when making a certain of type sausage for the first time is mix it up, then cook a small amount and taste. Tweak to fit your taste from there, just make sure you keep notes of what and how much you add.
Good tip there about cooking n tasting.

Russ

The thing to remember when making a certain type of sausage for the first time is mix it up, then cook a small amount and taste. Tweak to fit your taste from there, just make sure you keep notes of what and how much you add.
`We always cook, taste and tweak when making sausage. Kind of a thing, when we make sausage I make a batch of biscuits. We cook small portions of sausage, tweak then cook again. The sausage samples and biscuits are lunch.

`We always cook, taste and tweak when making sausage. Kind of a thing, when we make sausage I make a batch of biscuits. We cook small portions of sausage, tweak then cook again. The sausage samples and biscuits are lunch.
Sounds like me. When I made my bean and ham soup the other day, I didn’t use a recipe. I went from memory to start with, then tasted and tweaked for the next few hours. By the time the soup was done, I had eaten a meal. LOL

Sounds like me. When I made my bean and ham soup the other day, I didn’t use a recipe. I went from memory to start with, then tasted and tweaked for the next few hours. By the time the soup was done, I had eaten a meal. LOL

One of the reasons I cook for others and then don't sit down and eat it with them!

We did make Italian Sausage. Thank you all for your suggestions. My deepest thanks to MypinchofItaly . Through numerous PM's MypinchofItaly walked me through some of her family recipes. I used her Dad's recipe with minor modifications for American ingredients. :woot:Wonderful, amazing, perfection! Thank you, thank you, thank you. We also made a batch with commercial seasoning. Just OK.

Back
Top Bottom