Home made puff pastry?

I've lost count of the number of TV chefs who say 'its not worth making your own puff pastry. Store bought is fine'. Now as it happens I tend to disagree. The shop bought pastry is OK if you don't have time, but to me it never tastes as good as when I make it myself. The same goes for croissants (which are yeasted puff pastry).

Tell us what you think. Do you make your own puff pastry?
Generally no. I get puff from a local bakery made with all butter that is of the highest quality and I really can't improve on it. Saying that generally speaking the puff in the frozen section of most grocery stores is a no go for me and if that was my only choice I would make myself. It's easy to make, but my time is better used when I can get a good one, and right now I do. Cheers!

Here's a variation from Chef John ("...at Food Wishes dot com...") using self-rising flour, so it's a little quicker:

View: https://youtu.be/sqL2napn9bc

This is erroneous in the sense that he states near the beginning that real puff pastry is made with yeasted dough. That is simply not true. Croissant dough is - but not standard puff pastry.

I tried once making puff pastry & crossants. Both seem the same, but what a tedious & exasperating job THAT is!! All that folding, rolling & trying to incorporate the butter in layers. I just gave up. I DID get to bake the dough, but I'll never try it again!! I'll just buy it frozen. 😱

Back
Top Bottom