Recipe Homemade Breakfast Cookies

joycemcgregor

Veteran
Local time
8:39 AM
Many years ago when my children were small, I use to make a breakfast cookie that they all liked. It had eggs, of course, along with bacon and orange juice and wheat germ. They were easy to make, but because of the bacon in them, I stored them in the refrigerator. On mornings when we over slept these little cookies were great accompanied by a glass of milk. All the kids loved them and would sometimes have one for a snack after school with milk. This recipe is very similar to the one I used to make::

Ingredients

3/4 cup butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons thawed frozen orange juice concentrate
  • 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
  • 1 1/4 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 6 strips bacon or veggie bacon, cooked very crisp, drained and crumbled (I used veggie bacon and it worked just fine)
  • 1/2 cup Grape-Nuts
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F.

2. In a medium bowl, beat together butter, sugar, egg, orange juice concentrate and peel, until light and fluffy. Add flour and baking powder, beating until well blended.

3. .Stir in bacon and cereal, stirring only until incorporated.

4. Using an ice cream scoop (I used a big one), drop 3 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.

5. .Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until edges are golden. Remove cookies from sheets while still warm and cool on racks.

@joycemcgregor

These sound delicious!!! I have twin girls and I am always looking for new ideas for breakfast/snack time. This one is going in my books. Thank for sharing :)

This sounds great, you are always looking for something that the kids can eat that is good for them and quick also. I think I would use bacon bits on this little gem.

Just seeing this now. These do sound really good. I am always looking for new breakfast ideas too because we tend to have the same thing over and over again. These would be so good with my morning coffee. I will have to give them a try!

I think this is quite an unusual recipe. It seems to be a cookie recipe with grape-nuts added and bacon. So is it a savoury cookie or a sweet cookie? I'm not saying it wouldn't work, but I've not seen anything like it before. I'm also intrigued by the use of Grape Nuts which in the UK are a very very hard crunchy cereal. Do they stay crunchy?

For me it is also a little bit strange to combine a sweet cookie with bacon, I have never tried it and I am very curious how it tastes. I do love those things you can have in the fridge or freezer, ready when you have no time to cook. I have no idea what grape nuts are.

For me it is also a little bit strange to combine a sweet cookie with bacon, I have never tried it and I am very curious how it tastes. I do love those things you can have in the fridge or freezer, ready when you have no time to cook. I have no idea what grape nuts are.
Grape Nuts have nothing to do with grapes or nuts. Its just a rather gritty hard cereal. The sort of cereal that doesn't go soggy in milk! It looks like this:
grapenuts.jpg

Back
Top Bottom