Homemade crème fraîche?

btw, Federal law prohibits interstate sale of raw milk - within the state, state laws apply - which are inconsistent.
Ohio - you're out of luck - it is prohibited except if you own a cow and board the cow on a farm - then you can have your own milk....
Raw Milk Laws State-by-State - Milk - ProCon.org
Yep, it's a commonly-occurring issue here, because of our large Amish population. They're occasionally caught trying to sell raw milk on the sly.

In Florida, you can't sell unpasteurized milk for human consumption, but you can for animal consumption. We've bought it that way on occasion to make cheese.

Watched a doco the other day about the Amish guy that was nuts, killed and gutted his wife. Amish knew he was nuts so they sent him to a physio. Wtf?
He ended up taking his own life.

Russ

Not being allowed to drive a car would drive me nuts, too. :hyper:

CD

CD

Wow! The experiment has really worked. It tastes gorgeous and has thickened considerably. I haven't tasted full fat crème fraîche in an age so its difficult to know how it compares but its certainly delicious. I think it works out a bit cheaper than buying ready made. I used 150 ml of Morrisons double cream (£1.10 for 300ml) and 1tbsp of Yeo Valley Kefir (£1 for 350ml).

Photo to follow

^ It is laudable that you are making your own crème fraîche! I found a Russian recipe online in which the ratio of double cream and kefir or (thicker) 'smetana' is 4:1. The mixture is kept in room temperature for 24 hours until it develops a 'skin', after which it is refridgerated.

We're lucky in terms of dairy products in Finland so I've never tried making my own sour cream products. Despite the pandemic, there are a zillion brands of pasteurized kefir (piimä; which is sold even 0% fat), crème fraîche, sour cream (smetana), cooking yoghourt and 'viili' ('prostokvasha', processed sour whole milk; a Nordic kind of sour milk, a bit similar to youghourt but less sour) available in every corner store. 'Viili' is really good and fresh. It has a thin layer of condensed 'sour cream velvet' on top. The rest is light, slightly elastic and mild to taste. It is a wonderful summer snack with e.g. muesli (granola), jam or sugar & cinnamon.

viili.jpg

Image: pinterest.com

Last edited:
I've heard of Kefir but never tried it - it seems to be a fermented yoghurt or milk?

All I can say is that since I discovered it I've stopped buying yoghurt. Its delicious and more complex tasting.

I found a Russian recipe online in which the ratio of double cream and kefir or (thicker) 'smetana' is 4:1. The mixture is kept in room temperature for 24 hours until it develops a 'skin', after which it is refridgerated.

Maybe I should have used more kefir. The result is quite thick but could be thicker.

Back
Top Bottom