Homemade Hummus and Tahini

Diane Lane

Veteran
Local time
6:49 PM
I haven't made this yet, but I love hummus, and have always wanted to try making it. I'm not sure if I'll make the tahini homemade or buy it when I do get around to making this. Hummus is sometimes expensive where I live, so making my own will be another way to save money, plus it's sure to taste fresh and delicious. http://www.inspiredtaste.net/15938/easy-and-smooth-hummus-recipe/

I haven't made this yet, but I love hummus, and have always wanted to try making it. I'm not sure if I'll make the tahini homemade or buy it when I do get around to making this. Hummus is sometimes expensive where I live, so making my own will be another way to save money, plus it's sure to taste fresh and delicious. http://www.inspiredtaste.net/15938/easy-and-smooth-hummus-recipe/
I always make it myself because its so easy. Really just Garlic, Tahini, chick-peas and lemon juice whizzed up! I don't make it too often though as its so incredibly calorific! I usually make chickpea and plain yoghurt dips - similar recipe but replace tahini with plain thick yoghurt.

I love hummus but I usually get the store bought option - bad, I know, especially since I always have chickpeas in the cupboard. I don't know that I have seen tahini either since living here in Japan, it's probably available but it's just a matter of finding it. One of my favorite types of hummus when I was living in the US was a red pepper hummus, it was so good!

When I worked in a commercial kitchen I used to make huge batches of tahini paste and use a portion of it to make a big batch of hummus. We would make roasted red pepper, garlic, plain, basil pesto, sun dried tomato as well as jalapeno (sp?). I used to love having access to that since it's so much easier to make bigger batches of something. I haven't made any since and now I miss it. I might pick up some chickpeas and some sesame seeds today. This is a great recipe by the way, it is pretty much how we made it.

I didn't realize hummus was that high in calories. I think it depends on how it is processed. I tried making it once in the blender, and it did not come out too well. However, now thta I have a decent food processor bake, I will try to make it again. I do love hummus. It is one of my go to foods, although I don't really eat it all that often. THe taste is very pleasant.

I didn't realize hummus was that high in calories. I think it depends on how it is processed. I tried making it once in the blender, and it did not come out too well. However, now thta I have a decent food processor bake, I will try to make it again. I do love hummus. It is one of my go to foods, although I don't really eat it all that often. THe taste is very pleasant.
Its high in calories because of the tahini (90 cals per Tbsp) and olive oil (120 cals per Tbsp). You can't avoid that however its processed. The only way to reduce the cals is to reduce the amount of oil and tahini in the mix - which, of course, you can do if you make it yourself.

Back
Top Bottom