Homemade Limoncello V Italian Import

murphyscreek

Veteran
Local time
9:00 PM
I made my first ever batch of limoncello. Here in Australia I had to use vodka as a base, as stronger forms of clear alcohol aren't available (e.g Everclear). I let my peels soak for a month to hopefully help compensate, and have to say was very happy with the end result. If you're interested, I did a taste test (and tried to be honest) alongside the Villa Massa Italian imported version we can get here on my YouTube channel. I'm currently still buzzing from aforementioned taste test....hahaha.

View: https://youtu.be/OZaRgjBPLpk

Its interesting that the colour is very different. Given that vodka is a clear liquid, I wonder why? Sorry - I haven't watched the video yet (I will later) so apologies if you commented on that already.

Its interesting that the colour is very different. Given that vodka is a clear liquid, I wonder why? Sorry - I haven't watched the video yet (I will later) so apologies if you commented on that already.
Yes, I definitely noticed it too. When I watched Italian or American homemade videos, they often used grain alcohol much higher in alc/volume. The colour was similiar to mine until the syrup was added, then went all sort of milky. They would add more volume of syrup to get to around 30% alc/vol, I could only add 200mls to keep it around the same %. So mine just stayed the same colour ( as a nurse I'd compare the colour to a certain bodily fluid specimen we routinely collect). The taste between both was still comparible though.

Last edited:
I made my first ever batch of limoncello. Here in Australia I had to use vodka as a base, as stronger forms of clear alcohol aren't available (e.g Everclear). I let my peels soak for a month to hopefully help compensate, and have to say was very happy with the end result. If you're interested, I did a taste test (and tried to be honest) alongside the Villa Massa Italian imported version we can get here on my YouTube channel. I'm currently still buzzing from aforementioned taste test....hahaha.

View attachment 84053

View attachment 84054

View: https://youtu.be/OZaRgjBPLpk

Just watched the video and let me say as first thing that I liked your The Kiss T-shirt! 😅

Ok so they are both strong flavour. I honestly think that making homemade Limoncello always win, I am sure yours tastes better even because you didn’t add too much sugar which usually is what I am not enthusiast, although is a good product.
Same happens with Sardinian Mirto liquor, there some commercial brands very valid, but nothing beats homemade 😉
Once again, well done mate 👍🏻

Just watched the video and let me say as first thing that I liked your The Kiss T-shirt! 😅

Ok so they are both strong flavour. I honestly think that making homemade Limoncello always win, I am sure yours tastes better even because you didn’t add too much sugar which usually is what I am not enthusiast, although is a good product.
Same happens with Sardinian Mirto liquor, there some commercial brands very valid, but nothing beats homemade 😉
Once again, well done mate 👍🏻
Thankyou so much for your thoughtful comments. It's really appreciated especially as a newcomer to making this, to hear from someone who actually knows a lot about it like yourself, naturally being Italian.

I am going to spend more time refining this recipe, as I know there is a lot of room for improvement. But for now, am going to pour another small glass of the ice cold Villa Massa, and raise the glass with a salute to MypinchofItaly . 🙂

When we used to make limoncello using Everclear, more often than not, it would turn a milky yellow color when we added the sugar syrup even if we let the syrup totally cool to room temperature.

I will say though, we misplaced some for quite a few months, close to a year, after moving and when we found it, it had turned nearly crystal clear. The box it was in got put in a guest bedroom closet and forgotten about. However, we both agreed that it didn't taste quite as good as it did when fresher.

Never had any turn an orangey color though.

Our favorite brand was Toschi but that became harder and harder to find, then impossible so that's when we started making our own.

You can also make orange cello and lime cello, but I've always thought the limoncello tastes the best.

Last edited:
I just watched the video. Nicely done.

We did find over the years that we made it, that using a microplane to zest, instead of peeling and scraping, was much more efficient. Also, if you left the lemon with just the barest hint of yellow on it, the pith was totally eliminated. Of course you have to line the colander with several layers of cheesecloth, a coffee filter, or a single ply of paper towel when you strain (and dampen whatever you use with water first so that it doesn't soak up the alcohol). Zesting like that also speeds up the soaking process. The flakes are nearly white after 10 to 12 days if I remember correctly.

Oh, zest over wax paper or parchment for ease of getting it into your soaking jar.

I also found, by getting distracted and accidentally letting the sugar syrup get to a rolling boil for a few minutes that it keeps the limoncello syrupy like the commercial brands and prevents any ice crystals from forming at all in the freezer

Last edited:
My dad and I made some about ten years ago. I thought my wrists would break with all of the lemon zesting I did. I don't remember if we used Everclear or Vodka. It was good. I can't say I ever want to make it, again. It was a lot of work for something I can buy at the local liquor store for a reasonable price.

CD

Back
Top Bottom