Homemade Mayonnaise Recipes

Diane Lane

Veteran
Local time
6:12 PM
I guess this section is where the condiment discussions and recipes would go? I looked around online and found a great variety in homemade mayonnaise recipes. Maybe we can collect the various ones here in this thread, because I'm sure someone here makes their own, and no doubt each person uses a different recipe.

I never even thought about making my own mayonnaise until someone (@morning glory) mentioned it in another thread, so that got me wondering. I have a jar in the fridge, but really don't use mayonnaise that often, so I'm thinking maybe when I run out, I'll try making my own.

Are there different flavors that are used for specific purposes? I saw some that used white vinegar, and others that called for red wine vinegar. Some call for mustard, as well. I mainly use mayonnaise in tuna salad, so I think any of the various recipes I saw would do, but I wanted to hear if anyone has a tried and true family recipe, or one they've invented that is a popular.

“Here Comes Everybody.”
James Joyce

Ingredients
1⁄2 cup cream
1 cup mayonnaise
1⁄2 cup Guinness

Directions
In a medium bowl, mix ingredients in the following order: cream, mayonnaise, and Guinness.
Stir well.

One of the favorite dish of my father-in-law is the steamed fish, the lapu-lapu which is a variety of big fish. My mother-in-law never buys mayonnaise. She makes it herself all the time and the only time she buys is when there is a party or gathering needing a lot of mayonnaise. From what I saw, she would get the yolk of the egg and stir it with olive oil. And then she would be adding some salt. That's the only ingredients I remember but I am not sure because I was not able to note it down. Her mayonnaise tastes so good because it can be compared to a bread that is freshly baked.

This is the one I use. It is really good! :)

INGREDIENTS
  • 2 large egg yolks
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
DIRECTIONS
  1. Place egg yolks in a bowl.

2. Add mustard and lemon juice. Mix until well combined.

3. Add oil in a slow. Stir until mixture thickens. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

4. Can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 week.

I am not here to offer any suggestions just yet as I have never made any and swear by Hellmans, so it would be interesting to see what's being presented and maybe try something to see how it compares with my Hellmans. I was just going to say we should expect something with Guinness and then scrolled up and 'Voila" there it was. I was not to be disappointed..............

Is that the Guinness beer? That burnt super bitter beer? I wonder how the mayo would taste like if you put some beer on it. I visited this thread hoping to pick some tips about making my own mayo in my kitchen.

Is that the Guinness beer? That burnt super bitter beer? I wonder how the mayo would taste like if you put some beer on it. I visited this thread hoping to pick some tips about making my own mayo in my kitchen.
I'll post another recipe later then.

“Here Comes Everybody.”
James Joyce

Ingredients
1⁄2 cup cream
1 cup mayonnaise
1⁄2 cup Guinness

Directions
In a medium bowl, mix ingredients in the following order: cream, mayonnaise, and Guinness.
Stir well.

When you say cream, is that light cream or heavy cream? I don't have the culinary background to be able to discern which to use without being told specifically. I think this is the 2nd mayonnaise recipe I've seen that doesn't use eggs. I think this is going to be an interesting thread :).

When you say cream, is that light cream or heavy cream? I don't have the culinary background to be able to discern which to use without being told specifically. I think this is the 2nd mayonnaise recipe I've seen that doesn't use eggs. I think this is going to be an interesting thread :).
What would you class as "light cream"?
We're back onto different meanings again.

Homemade Mayonaise, Egg-free!

Ingredients
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons live apple cider vinegar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
  • Sweeten to taste with about 3 tablespoons Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, or 1/2 tablespoon PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 2 tablespoons raw honey, or your favorite sweetener.
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons unprocessed salt
  • 1/2 cup cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil or palm oil at room temperature
Instructions
  1. In a food processor, mix lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, sweetener, and salt.
  2. While mixing, add the olive oil slowly through the hole in the top.
  3. Open the food processor and add the solid coconut or palm oil. Mix until smooth and creamy. Process as briefly as possible to keep the mixture from heating up. Then it will be thick enough to use immediately.
  4. Pour into a bowl or jar. Use immediately or store in the refrigerator up to one week.

I have not used a recipe for mayonnaise for years ,I do it by hand with a whisk so I have the feel of the mix,change vinegars,oils and mustards ,flavourings,even how thick I make the mix for what it's used for and will even glaze Mayo under the grill

I am not here to offer any suggestions just yet as I have never made any and swear by Hellmans, so it would be interesting to see what's being presented and maybe try something to see how it compares with my Hellmans. I was just going to say we should expect something with Guinness and then scrolled up and 'Voila" there it was. I was not to be disappointed..............
Depending on the use of Mayo ,a well made mayonnaise has no comparison to mass produced white wobbly lard that comes in jars

Homemade Mayonaise, Egg-free!

Ingredients
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons live apple cider vinegar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
  • Sweeten to taste with about 3 tablespoons Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, or 1/2 tablespoon PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 2 tablespoons raw honey, or your favorite sweetener.
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons unprocessed salt
  • 1/2 cup cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil or palm oil at room temperature
Instructions
  1. In a food processor, mix lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, sweetener, and salt.
  2. While mixing, add the olive oil slowly through the hole in the top.
  3. Open the food processor and add the solid coconut or palm oil. Mix until smooth and creamy. Process as briefly as possible to keep the mixture from heating up. Then it will be thick enough to use immediately.
  4. Pour into a bowl or jar. Use immediately or store in the refrigerator up to one week.
Not sure if you've made this but I would have thought this would be a make and use occasion if you refrigerate those ingredients they would solid up and probably split on bringing back to room temp as there is not a lot to hold the emulsion ,it's a bit of a up grade on a dressing

I guess this section is where the condiment discussions and recipes would go? I looked around online and found a great variety in homemade mayonnaise recipes. Maybe we can collect the various ones here in this thread, because I'm sure someone here makes their own, and no doubt each person uses a different recipe.

I never even thought about making my own mayonnaise until someone (@morning glory) mentioned it in another thread, so that got me wondering. I have a jar in the fridge, but really don't use mayonnaise that often, so I'm thinking maybe when I run out, I'll try making my own.

Are there different flavors that are used for specific purposes? I saw some that used white vinegar, and others that called for red wine vinegar. Some call for mustard, as well. I mainly use mayonnaise in tuna salad, so I think any of the various recipes I saw would do, but I wanted to hear if anyone has a tried and true family recipe, or one they've invented that is a popular.
Mustard helps emulsify the mix with the yolks,by using English mustard or even the powder there is no real heavy heat taste just a yellow tinge associated with a good Mayo,I change the mustards use Dijon ,or whole grain mustards once you understand the feel of making Mayo you can change ingredients,add chillis or herbs tomato ,peppers the world is your oyster

I'll post another recipe later then.
I am really curious if the Guinness is the dark bitter beer. I can not wait to see the recipe that you will write in here later as you have mentioned. Thank you very much indeed in advance.

Back
Top Bottom