Homemade Mayonnaise Recipes

I am not a big mayonnaise user. Some of these recipes make me want to cook something just so I can use one of these recipes.

I'll post another recipe later then.

You are very kind and I do appreciate all the research you put in. It's for this reason I will not rest until I have made something with Guinness even if it's the upgrade on dressing. I am not a big mayo person but I have tried one or two in the past and still come home to my mass produced "white wobbly lard"....:). Thank God I was only using this once a week.

What would you class as "light cream"?
We're back onto different meanings again.

LOL. We have products sold here in the U.S. called Light Cream, Heavy cream (for whipped cream),and Half and Half. I thought the answer would be simple.

Here's what wikipedia has to say on the subject:

"United States[edit]

In the United States, cream is usually sold as:

• Half and half (10.5–18% fat)
  • Light cream (18–30% fat)
  • Light whipping cream (30–36% fat)
  • Heavy cream (36% fat or more)
Not all grades are defined by all jurisdictions, and the exact fat content ranges vary. The above figures are based on the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 21, Part 131[4][5]" and here's the link to their article on the subject: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cream

LOL. We have products sold here in the U.S. called Light Cream, Heavy cream (for whipped cream),and Half and Half. I thought the answer would be simple.

Here's what wikipedia has to say on the subject:

"United States[edit]

In the United States, cream is usually sold as:

• Half and half (10.5–18% fat)
  • Light cream (18–30% fat)
  • Light whipping cream (30–36% fat)
  • Heavy cream (36% fat or more)
Not all grades are defined by all jurisdictions, and the exact fat content ranges vary. The above figures are based on the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 21, Part 131[4][5]" and here's the link to their article on the subject: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cream
So it'd be No Fat, Low Fat and ordinary here then.

What am I missing here? Sometimes I have bought light Hellmans as I suspect it's a healthier version of the wobbly "cream" stuff I have been using for years.

Which one would you use? I guess your ordinary would be our heavy cream that's used for making whipped cream?
Myself, I'd stay with Ordinary/Full Fat/Heavy.

@winterbella
The term can mean much more when applied by the manufacturer
to a finished product, but generally your suspicion would be correct.

Myself, I'd stay with Ordinary/Full Fat/Heavy.

@winterbella
The term can mean much more when applied by the manufacturer
to a finished product, but generally your suspicion would be correct.

O.k., thanks. I suspect homemade mayonnaise has a lot more flavor than one from a jar. I tend to stay away from light/low fat/artificially sweetened products. I'd rather take my chance with more natural full fat products than ones with whatever substitutions the company decides to fill them with.

Back
Top Bottom